Cutting plans

Hey there,

I'm new to the site and have been contract tinting for a couple of years now and am branching out and getting my own jobs.

Just wondering how everyone creates their cutting plans? Do you do it manually or do you use you use software? If so what software?

I currently use a CAD software called Vectorworks as I have a background in CAD design. It works for the most part but I still have to nest the panes manually onto the chosen roll size.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The only drawings I'll do is if it's for something like an arch with true divided panes... I'll sketch the arch and how the panes are laid out. 

When I'm doing the est. and measuring the windows, I'll note things like if the windows have locks that I can't get behind and that edge would need to be a factory edge...  and anything else that would cause me to cut the film one way over another. 

Sometimes I'll take pics of the windows if there is something out of the ordinary about them.. but I mean, all windows are squares... but not all squares are windows. 😛 

Anyway.. I follow K.I.S.S.. no need to overly complicate things. Its more important to take accurate measurements. 

2 hours ago, Roach said:

The only drawings I'll do is if it's for something like an arch with true divided panes... I'll sketch the arch and how the panes are laid out. 

When I'm doing the est. and measuring the windows, I'll note things like if the windows have locks that I can't get behind and that edge would need to be a factory edge...  and anything else that would cause me to cut the film one way over another. 

Sometimes I'll take pics of the windows if there is something out of the ordinary about them.. but I mean, all windows are squares... but not all squares are windows. 😛 

Anyway.. I follow K.I.S.S.. no need to overly complicate things. Its more important to take accurate measurements. 

Got it!

I was more meaning the process of cutting the film from the roll and working out the most efficient use of film etc.

I guess it's kind of like a game of Tetris in a way. Seems to take ages doing it manually on paper.

Please see the attached cutting plan sheets which I have worked from in the past. This is what I am meaning. All measurements are metric in mm so 1524 will be a 60" roll, 1220 a 48" roll etc...

Cutting plan 2-1.jpg

Cutting plan-1 copy.jpg

One thing I've learned over the years is everyone has their own system of doing this type of stuff. 

Most of my jobs usually have the same sized windows, more or less. So to do all that, for me, isn't really needed. I've done jobs for other companies that do something similar, esp larger commercial jobs that span many rooms/buildings. So there is def. a benefit with those types of projects. 

I just write down the window sizes and rooms... get home and put that into excel and figure out how much film to get using the best width sized boxes. 

I'll just look at what I need and how to cut it.. like.. if I need a bunch of 48" x 60" pieces, but also a coupe 18" x 30" - I'll order a 72" roll... cut the 48" and 18" from the same pull...  but I don't draw that out. I just make a note of how I'm going to cut the film on my 'workorder' paper so when I get on site (I usually always cut onsite rather then before hand) I can start cutting and know - well, this room I cut like this, which these 3 windows go here, and these others are for the windows in this other room - type stuff. 

There's no right or wrong way to do thing. :)  The important thing is to be clear in how you do it so as to not make any mistakes... not ordering enough film, forgetting windows, wrong sizes, ect.  :thumb

2 hours ago, Roach said:

One thing I've learned over the years is everyone has their own system of doing this type of stuff. 

Most of my jobs usually have the same sized windows, more or less. So to do all that, for me, isn't really needed. I've done jobs for other companies that do something similar, esp larger commercial jobs that span many rooms/buildings. So there is def. a benefit with those types of projects. 

I just write down the window sizes and rooms... get home and put that into excel and figure out how much film to get using the best width sized boxes. 

I'll just look at what I need and how to cut it.. like.. if I need a bunch of 48" x 60" pieces, but also a coupe 18" x 30" - I'll order a 72" roll... cut the 48" and 18" from the same pull...  but I don't draw that out. I just make a note of how I'm going to cut the film on my 'workorder' paper so when I get on site (I usually always cut onsite rather then before hand) I can start cutting and know - well, this room I cut like this, which these 3 windows go here, and these others are for the windows in this other room - type stuff. 

There's no right or wrong way to do thing. :)  The important thing is to be clear in how you do it so as to not make any mistakes... not ordering enough film, forgetting windows, wrong sizes, ect.  :thumb

:yeah I always use the numbers to calculate needed film; no drawings.

5 hours ago, Roach said:

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of you excel sheet?

When you cut onsite, what sort of setup are you using? I saw a cool way the other day on youtube where the guy sticks a knife into the box at the desired location and just pulls the film out.

18 hours ago, TotalTint said:

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of you excel sheet?

When you cut onsite, what sort of setup are you using? I saw a cool way the other day on youtube where the guy sticks a knife into the box at the desired location and just pulls the film out.

I can email you a screenshot.. not gonna post it here. 

Yes, that's how I cut onsite. Box on the floor... knife in what I need it cut, pull out and cut horizontally along edge of box.