Caulking exterior film question

Hi guys,

so I have a job that requested I install exterior reflective Film. They approve the job but now asked for a new estimate with me installing chalk around the windows to keep the film from peeling up. I’ve never install chalk before, so my question is what Caulking does anyone recommend or they have a video I should watch. Also how much would y’all charge for it. Thanks I’m advance

First use google fu and see if it is something you feel comfortable with...... Second ..... Maybe...pay a pro cause you've never done it?? .  For what to use .... check with your manufacturer... If they don't have a recommendation ..remember its only to stop it from lifting.. trim film at around a 1/16th inch from the frames to ensure the film is not blocking access for the caulk to bond to film and frame. I'd go with clear.

4 hours ago, WearTheFoxHat said:

First use google fu and see if it is something you feel comfortable with...... Second ..... Maybe...pay a pro cause you've never done it?? .  For what to use .... check with your manufacturer... If they don't have a recommendation ..remember its only to stop it from lifting.. trim film at around a 1/16th inch from the frames to ensure the film is not blocking access for the caulk to bond to film and frame. I'd go with clear.

agree. we are not contractors. a few local companies around my area are crazy busy and they  hire caulkers for jobs that require it.  but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. theres an art to everything. 

I am a little confused here, if you are using a reflective film you should have notified them  that the installation would be requiring caulk on the edge of the film required by the manufactured warranty.   I am thinking that they revived other bids more expensive than yours that stated so. what are your thoughts on this......?

For metal based films you will need to use a neutral-cure caulk such as Dow 1199. Anything other than neutral-cure will erode the film's metallic coating along the edge.

If you have zero experience caulking edges, I suggest you pal up with a local glazer or plumber. It's this or you do a bunch of practicing on a window at home until you are able to lay a 'just right' bead that would ensure the film edge is sealed, yet not have too much and sloppy in appearance.

It's a two trip job because you need give the film time to set up good before laying your caulk. If you put it down immediately after installing the film, you can cause the edge to shift during caulk installation and create bubbles, not to mention, the caulk can cause film lift issues as it (the caulk) cures. So it's best to come back about a week later to seal the edges.

Thanks for everyone input. I’m in the east coast so the job isn’t schedule til spring. I did state in my proposal that caulking is recommended and that we do not provide that service but they really wanted the same company that installs the film to do the caulking. I will practice at my home for a while and see if I get the hang of it. I agree it is an art to everything and I will definitely hire a pro if my work doesn’t look acceptable.