new plotter suggestions

If I had to purchase another one today I would likely look for a used fc-8000 or 8600. Those units are pretty dang reliable. I'm a little partial to to fc's but have had rolands in the past, also very reliable. Outside of those two brands I wouldn't even bother. I would only buy new if I needed to burn cash on a balance sheet.

Questions from the slightly educated :heh     

Do you have to change the blade or just the pressure when switching from tint to PPF ?   

Would it not be better to have one plotter for each ?  

Thanks in advance.  :thanks   

I use a 25° blade for tint and either a 45° or 60° for clear mask and vinyl.

Switching between tint and any other material is hell on the cutting strip and causes plenty of waste from getting the blade retuned for the thinner material. Cleancut makes the highest quality blades from my experience. I've got a few that I've had for 5+ years. I usually only have to replace them after I drop them and shatter the tip. Having a second machine will save alot of wasted materials and frustration. I had a comment about this here recently.20220201_093331.jpg.5895257632ee5d5585a274577e50cd1c.jpg

On 2/1/2022 at 9:34 AM, Dano said:

I use a 25° blade for tint and either a 45° or 60° for clear mask and vinyl.

Switching between tint and any other material is hell on the cutting strip and causes plenty of waste from getting the blade retuned for the thinner material.

That hasn't been my experience. I also use a 25* for tint and a 60* for ppf and switch between the two regularly without issue. I use a FC8600 and have separate blade holders and presets for tint and ppf. The only time I've had an issue that effected the cut strip was when I've screwed up and forgot to change either the blade or the preset back.

Thought I would expand on my logic while I have a minute.

Once or twice a month I will run wrap film thru the machine for 5-6 hours setting up install kits. After using a heavier material/carrier and heavier pressure, the cut strip would have a slightly different groove in it. To re-tune the blade and strip for the window film I would need to cut a series of 35×1.5" oblongs to get a clean cut again. Now I just run two machines to save the set up time. One for wrap/ppf and one for window film. I also like knowing I have a backup machine in case one goes south.

Yeah, that was my guess. I run these machines pretty hard. About 40% of my year is working with vinyl. I was fortunate enough to have a sign shop next door to me when I was training years ago. Those guys were kind enough to let me apprentice in my spare time and take on some of the overflow when I was up to task. It's been nice to have multiple trade skills to draw from.