Cutting window seals, standard practice? 🤔

Very diplomatic 👍 

Off to see him in the morning, weather or not butchering seals is a regular for him my windows don't work which is due to his work. 

Really doesn't help his case that even the tint redo was crap but after that point I didn't want him touching my car again. 

PXL_20220130_142434325.jpg

PXL_20220130_133923279.jpg

I haven’t cut those out personally but I will! Range Rovers older beemers are like that. You get em in there clean cutting em short or perhaps creating the perfect pattern and all the stars align and offer a sacrifice to the tint gods. Problem is you gotta do it 3 more times! Most of these cars windows seals and motors are junk to start with (sadly). They’re super tight on the sides but still shifty? Wasn’t a seal puller until Audi ditched felt on the side seals. Then the easier looking all rubber gasketed doors became a giant pain. All the way around the car. Zero easy windows.

The problem is I don't even know if he cut them the first time he did the tints when I wasn't present or when I was in the waiting area on the 2nd time and he was effing and blinding at my car and his phone cus his Mrs kept ringing, so it's quite possibly the tint gods weren't happy that day and crapped on my install. 

As I mentioned I took the door card off expecting to find a mangled regulator, I had to replace them both on my last Audi too (a4 b6). I'm aware that parts go but making the seals extra tight is putting strain on the motor and reg. 

Well It seems I have egg on my face. Sunday when I investigated the window went up and down fine without the seal in. I saw him this morning, he whipped the seal out and then the window still wouldn't work without the seal in so seems the window reg was on it's last legs.

He's going to redo the redo due to a crease in the tint once I'm happy with my windows.

Thankyou for everyones input.

this is standard practice-at least it is for me.  i have been doing this for years.  if done correctly, there will be no problem at all with the windows and would ever know it was done.  and you, as the customer, will get a much better job with a less chance of a window peeling.

it's one of those "you don't want to know what's in the sausage" things

On 2/2/2022 at 12:50 PM, Paul_TDI said:

Sorry my terminology probably isn't quite right. 

On my car the bottom seal to the window attaches to the rest of the window frame seal. 

In the pics you can see the metal centre of the seal where it would of been attached to the rest of the seal. He has cut the seal so it cam lift away, but now it doesn't sit correctly where it needs to be so isnt as flush as factory finish with unmolested seals. 

Due to this cut he also had to redo the tint originally as I now think the sharp bit of metal in the seal was rubbing on the film

received_838860326472902.jpeg

OK - so you're saying that he cut through the rubber AND the metal of that seal ?!? How in the world would you do that, with a hacksaw?   If someone did that, they are truly a hack tinter ...  it's one thing to lightly trim the edge of a rubber seal (quarter windows usually) to get a nice fit for the film. This IS common practice and if it's done right it isn't even detectable or seen at all; you just see an awesome film installation that is clean and well fitted to the glass & rubber edges. BUT it is another thing entirely to hack through someone's rubber seal system to get it out of the car - totally unacceptable and un-necessary. Sure, tinters remove seals  all the time, and door panels get pulled; done right it's fine and nothing gets damaged or altered.

5 hours ago, jconnors said:

it's one of those "you don't want to know what's in the sausage" things

Yep nail on the head! 😂 

Mrsunshades, exactly that, check out the first pics, the seals have a strip of metal running through them and this was cut through too. Only thin stuff so can't imagine too hard to cut through with a knife. 

On 2/3/2022 at 1:46 PM, Paul_TDI said:

Yep nail on the head! 😂 

Mrsunshades, exactly that, check out the first pics, the seals have a strip of metal running through them and this was cut through too. Only thin stuff so can't imagine too hard to cut through with a knife. 

Like I said: HACKER !  (and yes, in the PC world a "hacker" is defined as "an expert at programming and solving problems with a computer". BUT in any other field or occupation, a hacker is " a person or thing that hacks or cuts roughly" !!! HMM does this sound familiar ?!?!