Brands and cleaning

Hi guys, just starting out in the tint business, I am currently using Madico films, out of Ontario Canada. As I live in New Brunswick Canada. I do like there films and have been having great luck with it the last year! 

now question: what do most installers prefer for brands, and some windows I have dirt issues. Any cleaning recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance! 

Edited by Tylerdonovan

16 hours ago, Tylerdonovan said:

Hi guys, just starting out in the tint business, I am currently using Madico films, out of Ontario Canada. As I live in New Brunswick Canada. I do like there films and have been having great luck with it the last year! 

now question: what do most installers prefer for brands, and some windows I have dirt issues. Any cleaning recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance! 

You can't really go wrong with the Madico name, they've been doing film since the genesis of the industry.

In regards to dirt, well, it's everywhere. Here are some recommendations to minimize contamination of film before it touches the glass:

- Use filtered water.

- Clean spray bottles, spray tanks, and squeegees frequently.

- If using a tank spray system with hose, splice in an inline filter and change regularly.

- Tape off top and side vertical auto window gaskets, if felt. With rubber gaskets, a good clean wipe in lieu of tape. 

- In automotive, spray and squeegee clean any surface the film is to be laid on, whether the surface it is to be installed to, the outside surface of auto glass when hand cutting patterns and the peel board surface before each pattern is placed on its surface.

- Spray mist the path from peel board to auto glass and mist the pattern (liner) surface on your peel board before peeling the liner.

- Residential, lightly spray the area path to window before peeling the liner.

- Do not have fans running during installation.

- Do not wear clothing such as sweaters or other materials that easily shed fibers or collected airborne particles.

- Rinse fingers tips if they will be in contact with the film's adhesive. Use only (rinsed) thumb and forefinger when handling exposed adhesive.

- Keep fingernails clipped short.

- Enure body hair (head, face, brows, etc.) does not pose a shedding threat. I would even spray mist my arm arm hair when in short sleeves and spray mist my head before entering the back seat when installing a back glass pattern.

- Lightly mist back seat and headliner (caution should exercised with some headliners that are sensitive to water staining).

- Ask the client to wash there car before they arrive or rinse the car yourself before entering the bay.

Okay, I'll let others think of more.  Good luck!

I visited a shop in Plano TX years ago where they had mounted a misting system above the area cars were to be tinted. They switched it on just before it was time to peel liners. It was similar to what grocery stores use in the produce dept.

A little elaborate but it was effective.

Thought of a couple more: when doing auto tint have a peel board on both sides of the car, this shortens the distance you travel to the glass with adhesive exposed patterns. Also, if you don't want to travel from board to car with exposed adhesive, you can lift the liner while spraying the adhesive with slip solution and then return the liner back into position. You then peel the liner again when you are in position to apply to glass. This second procedure may require misting the glass surface to ensure enough mobility once the adhesive hits the glass.

Edited by Tintguy1980

On 2/12/2022 at 12:06 PM, no ma'am said:

Wondering if it was the shop I’m at @Tintguy1980image.jpg.367f0543adb1b85632819a98ebd64c2c.jpg

Well, I won't name it because I'm unsure since it's been about 15-18 years, but I believe they were a multi-location outfit and as I spy the curtain after a second glance, it could very well be. :dunno

Sometimes you can clean everything perfectly but because some tend to be very "wet" with spraying a LOT of liquid, that extra water can get in the sides and top making it to where it's soaked and it wicks under the film when installed.

Remember where the contamination is, If your contamination is always near the edges, then it may be soaking in at the edges. some people slam the water into the sides when they clean and install, i stop about an inch or 2 from edges then push the sides down last and not into the sides soaking them further with all that water. But those people also get clean installs so i always may be wrong.

Being dryer and not soaking the sides and pushing down helps a lot, my problem is always beard hair and idky

20190831_120106.jpg

Edited by Tint Slayer