Is this "ghosting"

I recently had llumar atr applied to my gs300 after having whatever the original owner had applied likely when new stripped. I had to take the car back once as the back glass had some residual adhesive leftover and I had a light gap and a couple excessive spots on the front roll ups. The younger kid at the shop did the initial install the first time and I dealt with the owner when getting the front two roll ups and back glass redone. He took care of it no issues, but I couldn't help but feel like I was annoying him. 

I was very happy with the redo and I understand a few specs here and there are normal. A week after the reinstall I notice this weird hazy lighter hue on part of the passenger roll up towards the door panel under some angles. It's hard to capture on film but is this ghosting? Would this be something normal? I really don't feel like annoying the guy again and wondering if it's something I should just live with. It is not visible on the outside of the glass.  

20220427_153722.jpg

20220427_153623.jpg

Edited by 05lexusgs300

If you can fully determine it’s not on the outside of the glass, then I’m gonna have to go with yes. That looks like and sounds like it is where the film was shrunk and left the “ghosting” in the shrink area.  

I will say this,  That particular model does have a lot of shrinking necessary on the doors.  I really don't think it can be helped unless your installer takes what would be "unnecessary steps" just to tint a door glass.  He would have to take the type of steps necessary for a rear glass just to keep from ghosting.  This is going to be the case with most films.  

Most of the time ghosting isn't really that noticeable unless you already notice it and can't keep from noticing it because you know it's there. If you will try to ignore it, like you do a chip on the windshield,, you should be fine.  I can't tell level of your OCD but hopefully it's low and you can get past it.   :beer 

Edited by Bham

Thanks for all the info. My ocd is generally high but I'm trying to care less as I get older. I just want to make sure this isnt going to alter the performance and based on what you're stating I'm likely to have the same issue if I ask for a retint. I know atr is a metalized film. I think it's more noticeable since it is a darker film (atr 15... yes I know illegal but I've never had an issue on 3 cars in my state). I respect the art of tinting. I think I lack the patience necessary to become skilled at that type of thing. 😂

Just an update. I couldn't live with this and felt for the money I paid I shouldn't be seeing a hologram every time I drive. I contacted the shop again and the owner agreed to redo it. I dropped my car off and he called me saying he looked up and down and there was no issue basically saying I was being too picky and its just the glass because it is an older car. Well I've had tint on every car I've owned and never had a flame looking mark visible through the film. Slight contamination whatever I'll live with it, you cant see while driving.

He eventually said he'd redo it one more time but after that, that's it. Lo and behold he calls me saying I am correct and the film was defective after pulling it. I'm accepting the redone window as I don't see the issue any longer.

It just bugs me getting met with excuses when I didn't try and remotely cheap out and am treated like I'm being unreasonable for wanting a non subpar job when I paid $500 for the whole job including windshield with air blue 80, not even taking into account the $150 fee to strip the old film and the now 3rd time I've had to visit the shop. Lesson learned.. The shop is highly rated with 5 stars, but next time I'm taking my business to "the tint guy" in the metro Atlanta area. I have no issue paying for quality install, but feel like I get screwed even when paying for quality at times. 

Edited by 05lexusgs300

17 hours ago, 05lexusgs300 said:

I paid $500 for the whole job including windshield with air blue 80, not even taking into account the $150 fee to strip the old film

Doing the math on this it sounds as though you received a fair price.

The run around stuff doesn't reflect well on the dealer for sure.

For sure but almost all installers in my area are pushing pinnacle and ceramic films. I was totally fine with a metalized film being I'd likely only keep the car a few years at best and really just wanted decent heat rejection. With the windshield the airblue was a no brainer since i didn't want anything too dark or obscuring. If it had turned out this way the first time I'd have been fine with. Anyway I'm sure in the next week I'll have something else to obsess over beside window film 😅.

1 minute ago, 05lexusgs300 said:

For sure but almost all installers in my area are pushing pinnacle and ceramic films. I was totally fine with a metalized film

I'm shocked that ATR 15 ghosted, unless they've changed the metal used or another film was substituted, ATR 15 should not ghost (I know this film far too well).

17 minutes ago, Tintguy1980 said:

I'm shocked that ATR 15 ghosted, unless they've changed the metal used or another film was substituted, ATR 15 should not ghost (I know this film far too well).

well the installer did claim it was defective so I guess maybe its possible there was an issue with the dyed portion? There were just lighter colored vertical streaks in the film. I'm used to 3m color stable on past vehicles so metalized was an upgrade honestly. It does have that reflective sort of look I hear is normal for atr. 2nd pic is from the first job on the rear glass with a ton of leftover glue.

20220505_132711.jpg

20220415_091419.jpg

Edited by 05lexusgs300