XPEL window tint scratches easily?

Hey all, I got my windows tinted on my 21 Jetta at a reputable shop in my area and they used XPEL Prime CS all the way around. After I got home, I noticed they didn’t clean them 100% after they finished as there were a couple of water marks from the slip solution they used so I cleaned them up. I use tint safe Invisible Glass as a cleaner with new microfiber towels. After cleaning, I realized I put some pretty big scratches along the bottom of all four of the side windows. I know they weren’t the ones to put these scratches, they were not there before I cleaned them. Luckily my shop understood and re-did the four side windows for me. It’s been a few days since they have re done them and I cleaned them again, this time being EXTRA careful and using plush microfibers. 
When driving in the sun, I noticed a couple of micro scratches already that are not deep. But I was just curious as to if anybody knows if this tint is susceptible to scratches, and if there are any other precautions I can take to prevent this in the future. I had my previous car tinted with a different brand and I don’t remember being this concerned about scratches. Thanks everyone.

17 hours ago, Aone16 said:

I had my previous car tinted with a different brand and I don’t remember being this concerned about scratches. Thanks everyone.

The automotive film with the hardest scratch coat is made by Eastman under the brand names FormulaOne and or LLumar.

You'll know how easily a film will scratch when actuating the windows up and down. If they scratch pretty quick, that's an inferior coating.

I do have to say that 3M Crystalline 40 has been on my car since early 2016 and there are zero scratches, adhesive is crystal clear, and the color remains stable. Possibly another label to use in the future.

I remember now that when I had my previous car about two years ago, the tint shop I used installed Global film. Never did I see a scratch on this tint. 

I think I will live with these scratches for now. And maybe later on down the road I will think of removing and replacing with something else. 

as a matter of fact, on an unrelated topic, I was thinking of potentially in the future removing the XPEL Prime CS and installing clear ceramic film on every piece of glass on the car, including the windshield. The purpose of this is to stay legal in my state (NY) and also block out the heat. Is this a viable option, and will this accomplish keeping heat out of the car (even if it’s a clear ceramic tint)?

thanks tintguy and tintsolutions for your responses

Putting a clear ceramic (70, 80 or 90) will aid in reducing incoming solar energy (near infrared, UV, visible light) while driving the car, leading to increased creature comfort more so when in motion. However, keep your expectations low, if you park the car in the sun.

If the film you choose has a TSER rate of 40%, you still have 60% transmitting in. This translates into a slower heat up when in the sun, however, if parked for a long period of time in the sun (like an eight hour work shift), DO expect the car's cabin to be hot.

I would recommend 3M's Crystalline series (it is pricey). It has the capability to reflect near infrared energy as opposed to the majority of films absorbing (which heats up the glass) and re-radiating to the coolest side of the glass. You will sense the hot glass next to you more so with standard ceramics than using Crystalline. Near infrared is the part of the sun's energy you 'feel' in the immediate.

Some is better than none.

I've been installing Xpel at my shop for about 3years now and this has not been my experience. When I switched to Xpel the robust scratch coat was one of the major factors I took into consideration. I switched from 3M and tested a number of other films including offerings from Eastman and Global. Global without a doubt has the best scratch coat out of any film I've tried with Xpel coming in second. Not sure what might be going on in your case but I do have to say I'm surprised, I'm heavy handed when installing and cleaning and the only time I've had problems was when my tools have needed addressing or my towel picked something abrasive up that I didn't notice until it was too late.

We haven’t had any issues with Xpel XR Black and I guess it should have the same SC properties as the CS line. We just ordered CS to stock, we’ll see how it goes.

I also think Xpel CS and Global QDP should have a quite similar scratch coat resistance 🤷‍♂️

On 5/5/2022 at 12:13 PM, Tintguy1980 said:

The automotive film with the hardest scratch coat is made by Eastman under the brand names FormulaOne and or LLumar.

You'll know how easily a film will scratch when actuating the windows up and down. If they scratch pretty quick, that's an inferior coating.

I do have to say that 3M Crystalline 40 has been on my car since early 2016 and there are zero scratches, adhesive is crystal clear, and the color remains stable. Possibly another label to use in the future.

I scratched llumar film way to easy.  Found it horrible compared to global. 

This was probably 5 years ago at the Performance Challenge tint off.