New Tinter with a couple of questions before spending money on tools and film, please help

Im serious about starting a tinting business, ive been watching a lot of videos and i want some financial freedom, im 21 years old and had to drop out of school last year to pay off some bills, i have some money saved up and want to go all in, some questions i have are 

1. What roll size should i purchase when starting off, i maybe want enough to cover about 8 cars just to practice off, 

2. What different percentage types should i get to start off, i was thinking of purchasing 3 different ones, what are the ones people most request, i live here in California. 

3. What type of film should i use? i was thinking dye film since its the cheapest and does anyone know a good website to buy them at? 

4. How much did you guys start charging when you started per car or per window? 

Thank You in advance ! Just looking for some direction so i can start purchasing all the supplies. 

16 minutes ago, MV Tinting said:

Im serious about starting a tinting business, ive been watching a lot of videos and i want some financial freedom, im 21 years old and had to drop out of school last year to pay off some bills, i have some money saved up and want to go all in, some questions i have are 

Please save your money, this is not a business venture for you yet, it is still a hobby (at best), if you've never installed any film.   

1. What roll size should i purchase when starting off, i maybe want enough to cover about 8 cars just to practice off, Get a 20" roll and a 40" roll and be done with it. Don't buy a bunch of film if you don't know how to use it. 

2. What different percentage types should i get to start off, i was thinking of purchasing 3 different ones, what are the ones people most request, i live here in California. Get a light to medium shade to practice with(preferably something legal so your friends don't get in trouble after you practice on their vehicle. 

3. What type of film should i use? i was thinking dye film since its the cheapest and does anyone know a good website to buy them at? Do a little more research and get a reliable dyed film that won't go bad in 3 years.  

4. How much did you guys start charging when you started per car or per window? That depends on the economic diagram of your particular area.  Prices are all over the board depending on the area you are in.  

Thank You in advance ! Just looking for some direction so i can start purchasing all the supplies. 

With all do respect, It sound like you have never tried installing film.  Please, save your money and maybe practice before trying to make this something profitable. You will end up broke before you know it.  If you do try installing and think you have the feel for it, get a job at a shop first.  You just aren't ready to try to make a business out of this yet.  

In all fairness, it takes months if not years to become competent enough to tint a complete vehicle such that the customer is satisfied with the job and you haven't spent all day tinting for $200...

As Bham said, you should get a job at a tint shop first. That way you can benefit from some training from experienced people and not be wasting your own film and time whilst learning the game.

I have been tinting since 1984 when I was just 18 and I think I was confident in myself by about year 3

I'm now 55 and have made a reasonable life from this industry, working for myself for the last 20 years.

It's not as easy as some would make out, but if you start with a plan and don't try to skip important steps, you too could carve out a career for yourself.

Good luck

Paul 

I can appreciate your motivation. At 21 I made the leap and spent 5months apprenticing for little to no money because I had a goal. Hacked my way the next year at a high volume shop where some real tinters finished my training. 

If I had to do it all over again I would've trained into PDR (paintless dent repair) instead. When the economy takes a dump tinting is mostly a luxury item, but insurance will continue to cover hail claims no matter what the market does. If someone has a 50k auto under finance, they are going to fix it.

9/10 pdr schools are a waste of capital. The only one I would consider is Top Gun PDR. Marty is an old schooler who is trying to improve the industry.

If tinting is your fix, I would reach out to @flat rock stan