Tinted Windshields Negate Windshield Sun Shades : Tinted Sunroofs=Exploding/Crack Glass

Just doing some homework...

Windshield to be tinted on Xpel XR or XR Plus 70%

Will this be efficient enough that I won't need to use a SunShade when parked outdoors in direct sun.

The dashboard is leather so the goal is to keep as much heat off the dashboard as possible when in the sun.

However, tint scratches....and in using the SunShade, I know it will -rub- when putting it on/etc.

Second question. Leaning on tinting my Panorama Sunroom in XR or XR Plus 50%

Because of how ceramic tint works, basically blocks the heat from coming in, but the glass get's *hot, hotter* due to how the tint works.

Is this a concern for the -common sunroof exploding-

And or since 50 or 70% has a solar energy absorbance of around 58-65%, this should not be a concern by tinting the sunroof ?

I have suntek 80 on my windshield and use the pop up shade.  I've used it for 4 years and don't notice scratches from it. 

I've tinted several sunroofs with regular hp auto film 20% and 5%. Never heard of any having thermal stress problems....

Regular film transfers whatever heat  through the film/glass

The ceramics AKAIK, basically *stop the heat* from transmitting past the film, so what you get is a heat soak/heat buildup of the glass itself (aka, it get's hotter than regular tint). In looking at the specs of each %, the darker you go, the #s for Solar Energy Absorbance go up. 

--I think if I stay with 70 or 50% on ceramic for the sunroof, it's still allowing some level of heat to still pass through the film - and not absorb/block it as much as if I started going up on the higher percentages.

I've heard that argument many times and avoid doing sunroofs as much as possible, but not for that reason.

If the glass breaks I'm going to get blamed no matter what. I've spoken to a couple of glass guys and was told that most of the time its a factory flaw somewhere in the glass or on the edge that causes a stress fracture. 

1st tinted windshield ever.70%. 

In past cars, it's come from the factory with tint/film between the glass. Wild guess is metallized tint. Has the cutouts above the mirror and down below center on the dash for transponders, radar, etc. When looking at it from outside, it also gave off this nice chameleon look....

Never did windshield as stickers are annoying - yearly here.

Anyhow, WOW. I can definitely tell the difference in heat while driving with ceramic windshield. 

I did let it also the car sit outside for a short bit. The dash does get a smidge hotter, so I probably will still opt to use the sunshade for when it's parked street side in full sun when out and about.

Read post and find some misinterpreting of solar energy (visible, ultraviolet and near infrared 'light') as heat. They are not; they are electromagnetic radiation. Any one of the three can produce heat once striking and being absorbed by any surface; once absorbed it generates far infrared radiation, which IS known as heat.

Ceramic and most other films absorb a majority of the sun's energy (radiation) and then generate far infrared radiating toward the cooler side of the glass. Ceramics can create a radiator effect in the vicinity of the glass it is applied to, especially on the cooler side. That said, if your vehicle is not traveling fast enough to create serious cooling of the glass exterior surface, greater than the inside cabin temp using AC, the absorbed heat will move toward the cabin. A friend learned that by having a (high absorption) ceramic film on his windshield of his truck. He was baking while driving with AC and eventially removed the film.

3M Crystalline might very well be the best choice for windscreens, since it has the technology to reflect a lot on the intense portion of near infrared, while all other films absorb it.

My Jeep dash is black and it generated a lot of heat. Instead of film I chose to install a Beige dash cover. Problem solved.

Yes, those factory windscreens with a chameleon have a metallized tint sandwiched between the two layers of glass. I believe Southwall (now known as VKool) furnished the film for those.

Edited by Tintguy1980
spell check

It's been a decade+ since I've had Crystalline. What I didn't like was the color of their film.  As well, in the 2 cars in which I've had it , it was a bit haze in certain lighting conditions.

Excellent remark on 

" A friend learned that by having a (high absorption) ceramic film on his windshield of his truck. He was baking while driving with AC and eventially removed the film."

Wouldn't this be the same with a typical metal film for a windsheild , difference being the heat is not stopped at the film level but it's just absorbing through it ?

This would be the 1st windshield tint I've had had versus factory -comfort- glass so no much experience in this wheelhouse.

Edited by mobiledynamics

TintGuy -

Goggled VKool re: your last remark on the OE/OEM supplier for the -comfort glass-

Unless there website is inaccurate, doesn't look like they have a US presence out here.

Unless something has changed, AFAIk, the current market offerings on similar -colorways- when viewing from the outside is Chameleon Tint/Ultravision. I've been in 2 cars myself with it and the color **inside** Is not pleasing at all. It's not neutral looking one. One had a very strong yellow color spectrum when looking out.

Just finished testing - pulled the car out of garage. With sunshade on, with new 70% ceramic. Been sitting in the sun for 4-5 hours. The dash still felt -hot-. Not typical burning hot with no sunshade feel, but -quite hot-. Dunno if we going to call that heat soak from overall chassis, and or also as you mentioned, byproduct of heat coming past film, sunshade, etc.

Edited by mobiledynamics

17 hours ago, mobiledynamics said:

TintGuy -

Goggled VKool re: your last remark on the OE/OEM supplier for the -comfort glass-

Unless there website is inaccurate, doesn't look like they have a US presence out here.

Unless something has changed, AFAIk, the current market offerings on similar -colorways- when viewing from the outside is Chameleon Tint/Ultravision. I've been in 2 cars myself with it and the color **inside** Is not pleasing at all. It's not neutral looking one. One had a very strong yellow color spectrum when looking out.

Given the fact I've NOT been in the industry for the last 7 years, it just might be I am wrong.

I do know Eastman Chemical bought up many going concerns related to window film before and after my retirement. As I remember, they bought out a manufacturing site located in Tempe AZ years ago (all public disclosure info). Whether or not they moved forward with continued operations is not something I would know, nor would I be able to speak in detail about it due to NDA. 

Edited by Tintguy1980