Hello , would appreciate advice from proffesional tinters on charging prices , can you guys help?

Hi, i am running a tinting shop for the same employer the last 6 years , i like to think im experienced enough to slowly start on my own as i have built connections over the years , just looking for opinions and advice on what is the right prices to charge car dealerships per car that will be giving regular business to me , i understand i would have to give a deal , but want a profesional opinion on whats acceptable to charge per car to keep things profitable and worth my effort , i would greatly appreciate advice on this , thanks 😎

That all depends on if you're getting the whole lot or just upsells thru service, finance and/or sales.

Do they have a clean space that's not next to a vacuum in the crappy detail bay or are you in your own private garage that you rent around the corner? Dealers are notoriously difficult to wrangle but not always. Often they will have no loyalty to the installers. The mom and pop lots are a good place to start and will usually cut a check at the time of services rendered.

If you're going after the bigger lots start with the service mgr or the general mgr if you can. 

The used side sometimes run according to their own needs but most of the time the tickets run thru the service mgr/bay to compensate for his loss of floor space and to put profit into that side of the operation.

As for pricing you may find that they will pay 60-70 of what would be appropriate in a competitive retail environment if you are providing the film. Don't forget to offer simple door cups and edges. Quick, low cost and easy to add as a menu item or include as part of a package.

I've seen it so effed up that the parts dept wants to sell the film to service, service markes it up to the sales tower and the sales people bitch that they didn't get a slice of it. Some lots are just happy to be able to offer it to their customers.

It can be all over the map. At the end of the day you will get the best deal that you can negotiate.

A side benefit is that all the techs in the bays will feed you their personal cars and then some if you're a likeable guy and do good work. Welcome to the wholesale side of the industry. 

23 minutes ago, Dano said:

That all depends on if you're getting the whole lot or just upsells thru service, finance and/or sales.

Do they have a clean space that's not next to a vacuum in the crappy detail bay or are you in your own private garage that you rent around the corner? Dealers are notoriously difficult to wrangle but not always. Often they will have no loyalty to the installers. The mom and pop lots are a good place to start and will usually cut a check at the time of services rendered.

If you're going after the bigger lots start with the service mgr or the general mgr if you can. 

The used side sometimes run according to their own needs but most of the time the tickets run thru the service mgr/bay to compensate for his loss of floor space and to put profit into that side of the operation.

As for pricing you may find that they will pay 60-70 of what would be appropriate in a competitive retail environment if you are providing the film. Don't forget to offer simple door cups and edges. Quick, low cost and easy to add as a menu item or include as part of a package.

I've seen it so effed up that the parts dept wants to sell the film to service, service markes it up to the sales tower and the sales people bitch that they didn't get a slice of it. Some lots are just happy to be able to offer it to their customers.

It can be all over the map. At the end of the day you will get the best deal that you can negotiate.

A side benefit is that all the techs in the bays will feed you their personal cars and then some if you're a likeable guy and do good work. Welcome to the wholesale side of the industry. 

hi dano , appreciate the quick response mate , i agree with you 100% , the dealers call me out and they are audi, bmw , which provide sealed dust free rooms with fantastic lighting , for the smaller dealers we have a workshop 5 minutes down the road which i will install the tint , the going price for example a back half of car is 150 euro (im in ireland), so if you get regular callouts im debating whats a fair minimum that works out good for me , and them , i work for an employer so im aware that when i go solo i have a shit load to learn about all this, but its exciting to think about ngl man 🙂

Depends how far apart they are. Some you may have a set day for.

Others if they are closer together, you may float around a little bit. You will get tired of packing/unpacking at some point, so make your time count and make them respect your skills and willingness to show up and render quality services.

If 150euro is the going rate for dealers currently, then 150 is what you should charge. The market is already balanced. If you under cut you're only screwing yourself. Profit is what a buisness takes home after you have paid your labor/complete overhead, no matter who it is.

If you are the labor, pay yourself and seek profit for your buisness.

One day you may have help. Keep your buisness profitable not just your tinter, even if it's you. Your buisness is not you, and a buisness needs profit or its not worth the risk and investment.

Its a different mindset to observe your buisness identity separate from yourself personally. Congrats on being your own man. It's a risk worth taking. I wouldn't have it any other way.