Do you find your 100ft is usuable? No!

Wouldn't mind some feedback here on this topic please.

I'm finding more and more that the last 4-7ft especially with security film is totally unusable because of inhereit marks in the film. (These will not dry out.)

I'm not referring to the core film start line....that invariably will disappear but it's the @#$% in the film and beach sand that won't that begins the roll.

Fine if the manufacturer would give us 105' lineal but no it's exactly 100'.

This is a constant 5% loss of which I'm getting none to pleased about.

Anyone else sitting on this similar gripe but have never mentioned it here and are just bearing it too?

Devil :lol

In 25 years...I'd say about 10% of the rolls I can use down to the core. :lol:lol Send a couple back Devil, they'll get sick of the shipping to pick up 10' of film, and start throwing you some credits or film to get you off their back. :lol

That figure of 10% fully usable sounds about right with my own personal evaluations OT. :rollin

Some balances on the end are so bad that I couldn't/wouldn't give it away as a freeby. :beer

I have mentioned this on numerous occasions to my distributor but it falls on deaf ears of course. I have also been measuring roll length as I consume it and once it use to be a few feet over, not any more......100 ft exact.

You add up that 10% and it could make a substantial difference to your bottom line.

:lol6 Devil

Guest TintPoser

I looked at this after selling a job short. I bid it based on 3% waste and bought with 5% extra. After loosing the stuff on the core, I now build it into my pricing.

Guest metint

And this has been going on for how long... :beer Dern cardboard cores of days gone by were worse... :hmmm build it into the cost of doing biz as I did... :lol

Add up those scraps that hit the floor, you'd be surprised at the costs going into the trash. :lol

I've seen a manu take hits for 100k + sq ft in unusable film directly from production... :lol as well as large hits for wrong color hi tech films that have extreme per sq ft costs... :shock Straight to the dumpers it goes... :beer

All part of the cost of doing biz... :thumb

Why would a 100ft roll be partly dirty? I thought film was made in jumbo rolls that are much larger, like 1000 feet or something?

I'd think that if there were any contamination in a 100 ft. roll, it would be throughout? :thumb

Valid points Hoosier.

I think jumbo rolls are up to 10,000 ft and need a forklift to move them. I know Bekaert Australia import Jumbos for economy of scale and slice them up here in Sydney for local and national distribution.

But as to why the last 10% can be so @#$% is anyone's guess. About the best film to use to the core without any problems is the white translucent. I finished one today and cut to within the edge of the knife against the core and used all of it without a hitch. It's the stuff we can see through that has the grief.

Metint....I can recall many years ago a full shipment landed downunder that had tunnels every 6"s right through the entire shipment. :thumb Glad it wasn't mine.

Devil

I think the problem we are talking about is imprints from the core or the dust particles on them. So when a jumbo roll gets cut down to 100" rolls this new core creates the problem into each roll. We all know the task of getting no dust particles anywhere.

The whole thing is kind of like not being able to get all the tooth paste we buy. There is always some left when we throw the tube away.

Archived