PPF installed, not happy

Hi all new to the forum.  I tried searching my issue and found this site so I decided to register and post my concern/issue and maybe someone here has some advice for me.

I have a 2022 Challenger Jailbreak I took right from the dealer 3 miles down the road to get PPF installed.  This place was recommended and overall, I am very happy with the results.  He used XPEL and did the whole front end, lower rockers, and some other small areas.   He says he uses the XPEL library and doesn't cut any film on the car.

I am only not happy with the way the stripes turned out, this car has matte vinyl racing stripes.  He decided to cover the whole hood with the regular gloss PPF, then just over the stripes he installed the XPEL stealth PPF.  The color match for the stripes turned out great, can't tell the difference between the hood and the roof which is naked.

However, there is a noticeable air gap between the stripes and the paint, due to the PPF not being able to make that transition since the OEM stripes are pretty thick.  I mentioned to him already I'm not thrilled about it and I said I'll wait a few months to see if I can live with it.  Well, 2 months went by and it does bother me.

What do you guys suggest is the best way to make this look better?

68210341738--8949FB49-FBED-4A60-8F73-7A20F842FB9A.jpg

IMG-4053.jpg

IMG-4054.jpg

Edited by ReaperHWK

It could be trimmed by hand to the edge of the stripe but there is risk involved in that. Beyond that I don't think you have a lot of options, unfortunately those factory stripes are inconsistent in their placement so getting that precut piece to line up with them 100% perfectly 100% of the time isn't always possible. Your options as I see it are to live with it; have it trimmed by hand; or have the film and stripes removed, the film reapplied and then new stripes applied over the film. 

The precuts are just that. The software allows you to + - the pattern but it's really up to the installer to take the extra mile and fudge with it...a shop I know is one their 36th *revision* of their pattern tweaking for the Z06.

U don't want seams on a install - preferably- especially the hood since it's the main focal point.

If I was choosing it, I would do the full gloss film on the hood and then vinyl match ontop of the ppf where the factory stripes are - new vinyl strips would be 1/16+ wider than the stock strip so you know you are fully covering it

. The vinyl is like 5 times thinner than stealth PPF, so it would blend in better than the thicker stealth clear ontop, as well as it would mask it so it looks -seamless- due color coverage..

Edited by mobiledynamics

Off topic or on - In the realm of some owners want thing's all OEM

If PPF applied in this fashion (ontop of paint + factory stripe). 

If, when the PPF is removed....not that I think about it, there is a good chance the factory stripe may -lift- with the PPF right ?

Just due the adhesion of paint is different than a sticker ontop of it. Then you add the adhesive of the PPF, then trying to keep the factory stripe may be MOOT ?

when u apply ppf on top of decals , stripe etc , u will always have that air gap pocket , now after install if you run your finger on that line before you wrap the edge / so the air has a release /  you may have chance to reduce that air space , but you will still have some airgap because is not level / the decal is higher then the paint level..... make sense? :)

Thanks all.  I’ll have to mull this over.  Looks like the options that would work for me is to leave it be or remove it all and do the PPF with stripes on top.    That would look definitely the best.  Drawback to having the stripes on top of PPF is that if I resell it may be a turnoff to some buyers I think since it’s not “original”.   I don’t want any cutting on my paint it’s not worth the risk to me.  This car is not cheap and it may be a valuable one in the future.  All hellcats are done after 2023 and dodge is going all electric.  These cars will go down as the highest hp gas cars produced.  This one is 807hp.  

I’ll talk to the guy next week again (I have to go to his shop for him to replace the fender PPF it took a hit but the paint is fine, just needed pdr ).  

the PPF got hit with a power washer nozzle that flew off the gun.  Put a hole clean through the PPF and dented the panel.   Paint is not damaged though. PPF saved the day.  

B67262A7-9A15-41F6-BACD-A4658413ABF3.jpeg

B719A5B5-3F0B-4F22-9D1E-E7DA2B5A7EEC.jpeg

Edited by ReaperHWK

On 9/14/2022 at 9:41 AM, mobiledynamics said:

Off topic or on - In the realm of some owners want thing's all OEM

If PPF applied in this fashion (ontop of paint + factory stripe). 

If, when the PPF is removed....not that I think about it, there is a good chance the factory stripe may -lift- with the PPF right ?

Just due the adhesion of paint is different than a sticker ontop of it. Then you add the adhesive of the PPF, then trying to keep the factory stripe may be MOOT ?

I also thought about this.  I was told he can get it off and leave the stripes using heat and being careful. Always a risk you are right.  

If you care about -OE- down the road, then the details do matter....only if you are a stickler for what was stock and whether it is -there-, if/when you choose to remove the PPF. The glue is pretty strong. While adhesion of paint is different on metal, the adhesion of the factory sticker -might- lift some when pulling pff. Especially since you are doing to apply heat- to the area to aid in removing the PPF (aka, glue), that same heat also is also going to be -heating- the factory vinyl.

May be a moot point if you don't care about the OE sticker though...as that can always be redone ..easy from a vinyl perspective

2 hours ago, mobiledynamics said:

If you care about -OE- down the road, then the details do matter....only if you are a stickler for what was stock and whether it is -there-, if/when you choose to remove the PPF. The glue is pretty strong. While adhesion of paint is different on metal, the adhesion of the factory sticker -might- lift some when pulling pff. Especially since you are doing to apply heat- to the area to aid in removing the PPF (aka, glue), that same heat also is also going to be -heating- the factory vinyl.

May be a moot point if you don't care about the OE sticker though...as that can always be redone ..easy from a vinyl perspective

All valid points.  I did remove some of the PPF from my fender and the adhesive is strong for sure.  

Steam/Heat material well - and while you're removing is best. It's a new install so it should be fully -cured-.

Also, once you get a lift point on the film. don't remove by pulling the film -away- from you. Pull it -towards- you to lift and remove. Adhesive comes off better with film in this technique/direction.

The less glue = the less glue removal. That = less/minimizing mechanical contact/mechanical abrasion. Still probably will need a mild polish after a chem glue wipedown regardless.

So now you have PDR . How much is it going to cost you to redo the whole fender. Just curious

Edited by mobiledynamics