PPF installed, not happy

2 hours ago, mobiledynamics said:

Steam/Heat material well - and while you're removing is best. It's a new install so it should be fully -cured-.

Also, once you get a lift point on the film. don't remove by pulling the film -away- from you. Pull it -towards- you to lift and remove. Adhesive comes off better with film in this technique/direction.

The less glue = the less glue removal. That = less/minimizing mechanical contact/mechanical abrasion. Still probably will need a mild polish after a chem glue wipedown regardless.

So now you have PDR . How much is it going to cost you to redo the whole fender. Just curious

$300 for the PPF.  Not sure yet on pdr the guy gave me a range depending on how much work it takes him. Could be between $150 to $300 for the 2 small dents there for PDR. 

overall much better than if there were no PPF.  It would have definitely went through the clear and it would have needed a respray to get it 100% that would have showed on a carfax.  

Edited by ReaperHWK

Just 3 for the fender. That's great - it would be much more - but pricing is regional IMO

1st time using a Pressure Washer ?

I know QuickConnects and the tension balls on them can be a bit tricky....but always do a test gun trigger pointing down whenever you are about to -spray-....

FWIW, they also make rubber hoods you can install as a extra safety . So it's 1/4 plug+orifice of size and the rubber shrouded hood .....this is what I have for my car wash PQ nozzles. 

Edited by mobiledynamics

10 minutes ago, mobiledynamics said:

1st time using a Pressure Washer ?

I know QuickConnects and the tension balls on them can be a bit tricky....but always do a test gun trigger pointing down whenever you are about to -spray-....

FWIW, they also make rubber hoods you can install as a extra safety . So it's 1/4 plug+orifice of size and the rubber shrouded hood .....this is what I have for my car wash PQ nozzles. 

I never used one routinely to wash a car.  Decided to on this one since it’s ceramic coated and the soap foams really nice.  I just went to fast switching nozzles and it wasn’t fully seated.  Yeah now I know to aim away from the car the first spray!  

those air channels are pretty annoying, you have to either score the film on the exact edge of the stripe so it will lay flat, or remove the stripes, polish hood, ppf, then add stripes. 

by the way, after 5 years or so make sure you replace or remove those stripes. they will fade the paint and look horrible. anyone in the Atlanta area needing PPF, Ceramic, Stripes, Colorchange Wraps, Underglow, Tint, Correction Pm me for a nice discount!!!

So this saga continues.  I got the car PDR'd and it came out perfect, and it's at the PPF shop now getting new PPF on the fender and some polishing/ceramic on a few areas I noticed some swirls.

I again told the guy I'm unhappy with the stripes, and he REALLY doesn't want to rip it all off and start over.  He suggested that I pinstripe the edges of the stripes with 1/8" vinyl to hide the air gap, he'd do the whole car free of charge.  I said OK let's do this and see how it looks.  I decided to use a matte red 1/8" pinstripe.  Found a car that is very similar to mine that had that done (below car looks to have a gloss pinstripe though). 

If I'm not happy with that I can always remove the pinstripes, and I'll have to probably PAY for it to be redone again the way I want it........   

659086311_pinstripestripes.jpg.b5f0f7ddb289dc497f415306826193c7.jpg

Edited by ReaperHWK

I like the look of pic 1 - without the bright color accent but that's subjective.

Option B is just lay new vinyl stripes ontop with a mm on each side past the OE stripe - to cover it.

The vinyl is 5X thinner than the PPF, so it won't be as noticeable fwiw...

Edited by mobiledynamics