Morning guys

Could do with some advice. Recently bought myself a Mercedes C Class C180 2014. Went and got it tinted, but found a hair, took it back and they re-did the tint, however in the process ruined the defroster lines.

Bought a spare screen at a junkyard which had all the wires and defrost lines in tact, took it to get it tinted to another place, and the man tinting is claiming that the tint will have bubbles from having "rust spots" due to the screen sitting around in the scrap yard. 

My question is, is there such a thing as "rust spots" on a window? Or has the guy just not cleaned the screen properly? He claimed to have cleaned it multiple times but didn't want to damage the defroster lines. 

I've attached some media for reference. 

Any help is gratefully appreciated. 

20221003_160644.jpg

20221003_160633.jpg

20221003_160619.jpg

That looks like contamination to me. Rust? Nope, never seen glass rust. I have seen welding slag cause a similar appearance. It's where someone welded or grinded something next to the glass and some of the hot sparks will stick to the glass and causes little lumps and pitting that look very similar to heavy contamination.

I don't think that's the case here though. Without being able to see it in person, I can't say for sure. 

I think you have purchased and installed a faulty piece of glass.  It is very possible, since you bought a junkyard piece of glass, that there is "weld spatter" on the glass.  

The only way to know for sure is to pull the tint off the glass and them feel the glass with your hand or run a plastic card across it.  You will 100% feel the weld spatter if that's what it is.  If that is what it is, you can't do anything about and you will need to buy a brand new rear glass. 

16 hours ago, TintDude said:

That looks like contamination to me. Rust? Nope, never seen glass rust. I have seen welding slag cause a similar appearance. It's where someone welded or grinded something next to the glass and some of the hot sparks will stick to the glass and causes little lumps and pitting that look very similar to heavy contamination.

I don't think that's the case here though. Without being able to see it in person, I can't say for sure. 

Yh I believe that was the point he was trying to make. My theory is that it could be the case that there welding debri on the glass, however as I took the glass as a separate piece to him, I think he's cleaned the glass, but no put the tint on straight away. The garage is pretty old and dirty, so being exposed to that air and dust may have gone onto the glass before he's put it on. If the glass was inside the car when putting it on, I don't think it would look that bad. 

13 hours ago, Dano said:

All of the above are possible. I'll add that the copper in the lines can corrode on the surface. I usually use a bit of #3 steel wool on older cars to knock it back. Those lines might come off if you try to remove the film. Steaming it off might help, no guarantees.

He claims that he could remove the film without damaging the lines are as his tint is "high quality", so it's easier to come off. I'm in the process of seeing if he would remove the film, clean the screen, and place a new film on again. Being inside the car this time, if there is any marks, that it would eliminate the chances of dirt or contamination to a lower level compared to tinting the glass outside the car. 

15 hours ago, Bham said:

I think you have purchased and installed a faulty piece of glass.  It is very possible, since you bought a junkyard piece of glass, that there is "weld spatter" on the glass.  

The only way to know for sure is to pull the tint off the glass and them feel the glass with your hand or run a plastic card across it.  You will 100% feel the weld spatter if that's what it is.  If that is what it is, you can't do anything about and you will need to buy a brand new rear glass. 

Yh i can can accept the fact that it may have the weld marks, i bought it cheap and 2nd hand so you get what you pay for. But I can't accept if the screen wasn't clean before the tint was laid. He tinted the glass outside of the car, in a dirty environment, so it was more exposed to dust and dirt compared to inside the car. If he cleaned it then walked away for a few mins, thats what could of caused a lot of the bubbles. 

4 hours ago, Gav777 said:

Yh i can can accept the fact that it may have the weld marks, i bought it cheap and 2nd hand so you get what you pay for. But I can't accept if the screen wasn't clean before the tint was laid. He tinted the glass outside of the car, in a dirty environment, so it was more exposed to dust and dirt compared to inside the car. If he cleaned it then walked away for a few mins, thats what could of caused a lot of the bubbles. 

Either way you are unsure of the exact cause so you have to be prepared for whatever happens if you decide to remove the film to find the issue.  You will either be correct and it is a poor install or he will be correct and you are out removal fees and a re-install fee plus a new rear glass should you decide to replace it if he is correct.  

It could be weld marks, it could contamination, or a combination of both. If the tinter is willing to retint it, I would give them a shot since it won't cost you anything. If the glass does have weld marks or if the defrosters come off during removal, just get a brand new glass. I would call around to different glass installers, prices can vary greatly. I would try a different tint shop though. If the glass was that bad, the tinter should have noticed that and never tinted it. Not to mention you stated how dirty the place is which is the absolute opposite you want in a tint shop.

Edited by DynamicATL