Question for the Professional

Guest Polo

Guest Polo

Hello,

This is my first time here and I have been pulling my hair out for the past week about tinting my car windows / different type of tint jobs.

I have a car that need tinting but I'm unsure about the different tint technique. I want the same tint job as my factory car (Ford Explorer) that came with tinted windows.

The job on the Ford Explorer windows are flawless and doesn't seem to have film or any sign of layers on the windows.

I seen tint job done on cars on the road that had bubbles,streaks,dust etc. (I'm looking for factory looking tint)

I wonder if the type of tinting from factory car windows are the same techinique used in tinting shop? (I'm not talking about cheap/saving money shops.)

If not, where can I can find info on custom made window with pre-tint.

Confuse,

Polo :thumb

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are looking for a good tinter. You must visit and inspect the work or ask those you trust for a good referral to a tintshop.

A question.

You do realize the glass on the explorer had the impurities burned out at whatever the melting point of that glass is and a tintshop won't have that option right? I mean there is a vast difference between factory tinted glass and aftermarket film. We get paid to make film look like factory, so assuming the best is the most expensive, call and ask prices and visit the shops from the most expensive to least in that order. Just a suggestion.

Guest Polo

I appreciated your respond Tintcutter.

I do not know the factory process on its tint job and your reply gave me a little insight on the process.

Its hard for me to get referral from friends and family because none has done it, and it'll be impossible for me to spot a good aftermarket tinting job from factory job and where the car had it done.

I mean there is a vast difference between factory tinted glass and aftermarket film.

Do you mean "visually" the differences is that noticeable? I'll look around but the statement is little discouraging if I'm seeking the same job as the Explorer ...

Guest Tinster

If you find agood tinter...you can have a 'factory looking' tintjob. One thing about factory tinted glass is that it is in fact, not tinted. It is colored glass, that does not block heat, uv etc. So, a tinted window is going to be 10x better than a factory 'tinted' window.

I feel sorry for the poor installer that has to tint this vehicle :hmmm

window tint is NOT going to look like FACTORY PRIVACY GLASS :thumb you might be able to find a installer that can do a almost flawless job but there is always going to be a couple specks under the film, dude your setting yourself up for dissappointment and lots of stress thinking its going to be perfect "like factory privacy glass" :hmmm'

god I hope this guys vehicle doesnt have dot matrix around the windows :thumb

what car are you tinting POLO? :thumb

Guest Polo

Thanks for all the reply;Tinster,Mdog, metint, Sprinter.

Its my lack of knowledge of the tinting process is the reason I'm here and ask for help about the tinting process and I'm not here to ragged on tint quailty of workmanship; I only want to understand the process between aftermarket and factory job so I as a consumer can make a better decision.

I feel sorry for the poor installer that has to tint this vehicle

With all the comments now, I won't have to bother an installer :thumb .

Wonderful Site.

Keep up the good work and Good Luck.

Guest Blade
With all the comments now, I won't have to bother an installer :thumb .

So...since it's an aftermarket product you're not going to get it tinted?

Archived