defroster seams....

Guest drscotty14

Guest metint
anyone have any tips from cutting the defroster seam? ruler? is it better to cut above or below the line?

As described in LLumar's auto training CD:

Sometimes, rear windows may be too curved to heat form successfully for some installers. Splicing pieces together may be necessary, yet there are ways to retain the ?seamless? one-piece look. When defroster wires are present, they can be used as blade guides and almost perfectly hide the seams.

THE ?INVISIBLE? SEAM: This method of joining two pieces of film involves overlapping two strips along a defroster wire and cutting through both layers, removing the excess film. The result is two pieces of film butted perfectly together since they were cut simultaneously).

1.Film is cut on the exterior of the pane into two seperate pieces, picking an upper defrost line as the seam point and roughly matching the curve of the defroster wires (a 1/3rd upper-2/3rd's lower split better serves ease of seaming). Each piece can be heat formed independently to reduce the need for further strips.

2.The upper strip is installed so that its lower edge overlaps a selected wire.

3.The next piece is installed so that its upper edge overlaps the same wire.

4.The overlap region is sprayed with Film-On (slip solution) to allow the hand to slide smoothly across the pane. The film is cut (freehand) either on the top or bottom edge of the wire(usuually beneath the wire is best for hiding). Be sure to use a fresh knifepoint, and use a very light to moderate pressure to ride along the wire edge without cutting through or across it. (The technique must be practiced, of course, on training windows to gain the necessary skill to avoid damage to the wires.)

5.The detached film can then be pulled away.

6.The result is a virtually invisible splice.With practice, a steady hand, and markers on the exterior of the glass to serve as visual guides, such splices can be performed, where necessary, on windows with no defroster wires.

Guest drscotty14

thanks metint! you are the man! oh and id like to thank wndotint also, hes been such a great help to me. you inspire me! :thumb

Archived