What does it mean to tint the full car?

Hello everyone. I am new to the tinting world. Recently I bought a 2019 Mazda MX5 RF and was thinking about getting it to tint. I went to a local store that my friend recommended. Since I only need to block heat and don't want anything fancy, I chose the cheapest option in the store: the LLumar ATR. According to their pricing, it was 295 for a full car. I dropped off the car later on, and when I picked the car up, I realized there was no tint on the front windshield. So I ask about the shop owner about it. According to him, a full car only includes side windows and the rear. Tinting the front windshield will be 200 dollars extra, which brings the total to 450 dollars (Something he never mentioned previously).

I am confused, so I checked with my friend about the pricing. He spent 550 for his 2019 BMW Z4 and 750 for his 2021 BMW M340 at this store (the tint he chose is LLumar Formula One, which is a much more expensive product than mine). According to him, both prices included tinting the windshield, and he never knew there was an extra charge for tinting the windshield. So is something sketchy going on regarding my case? Did I get scammed? I appreciate your help!

Edited by TrafficJam
Typo

The shop is correct. Windshields were never part of standard pricing and until recently not even permitted in most states. Some people don't want anything on their front glass at all, not even an upper visor strip.

Now that these types of installs are becoming more popular and the industry is catching up in regards to product offerings, the shops need to change how the sale is presented. It would help prevent any shock and give the sales team an opportunity to educate the public about the changes. As part of the education I always tell my clients to notify their insurance company about the windshield film to make sure it will be covered during replacement. Tint has been around long enough that insurance will replace it on side glass no problem but the front is new to them as well and can double their cost of replacement.

I think the bmw pricing is fair and maybe slightly discounted since the owner has brought multiple vehicles into the shop. The pricing that you were quoted is in line with pricing in my area as well for the reputable shops.

4 hours ago, Dano said:

The shop is correct. Windshields were never part of standard pricing and until recently not even permitted in most states. Some people don't want anything on their front glass at all, not even an upper visor strip.

Now that these types of installs are becoming more popular and the industry is catching up in regards to product offerings, the shops need to change how the sale is presented. It would help prevent any shock and give the sales team an opportunity to educate the public about the changes. As part of the education I always tell my clients to notify their insurance company about the windshield film to make sure it will be covered during replacement. Tint has been around long enough that insurance will replace it on side glass no problem but the front is new to them as well and can double their cost of replacement.

I think the bmw pricing is fair and maybe slightly discounted since the owner has brought multiple vehicles into the shop. The pricing that you were quoted is in line with pricing in my area as well for the reputable shops.

Thanks for your input!