Customer providing the tint

Generally I would pass unless I knew the film was something legit that I don't have access to.

I would have to question what is so special about it that he has to have only that. Also my price would be the same as with or without his film, paid before I start. Like Ryker said, he better be prepared to buy more if he wants it finished and something doesn't go well.

If he shows up and its rice paper thin or smells like the adhesive is stale, I wouldn't even bother.

Well, I recently bought a house where both toilets were the old round, low to the floor type. Called a plumber to assess cost and he was trying to sell me a 650$ toilet. I says, I'll pass and asked if I bought toilets elsewhere, would he install them. He says, yes.

It isn't much different when someone supplies the film.

Back in my days, the most I would do is give a discount from full price. That would help cover the film cost the custy laid out. Of course, there is absolutely no warranty on product or installation; take it or leave. Oh and ah, don't muck a piece up and be sure they have enough. Even then I gave it my best at install, because ... the person just might be back within a year or two needing an R&R.

There was no heating forming film in those days, so that adds a sour point to using customer provided film today.

None the less, they are introduced to the business and will either be back for your professional grade film or become a word-of-mouth soundboard for you, or both.   My :twocents.

Edited by Tintguy1980

17 hours ago, Tintguy1980 said:

Well, I recently bought a house where both toilets were the old round, low to the floor type. Called a plumber to assess cost and he was trying to sell me a 650$ toilet. I says, I'll pass and asked if I bought toilets elsewhere, would he install them. He says, yes.

It isn't much different when someone supplies the film.

Back in my days, the most I would do is give a discount from full price. That would help cover the film cost the custy laid out. Of course, there is absolutely no warranty on product or installation; take it or leave. Oh and ah, don't muck a piece up and be sure they have enough. Even then I gave it my best at install, because ... the person just might be back within a year or two needing an R&R.

There was no heating forming film in those days, so that adds a sour point to using customer provided film today.

None the less, they are introduced to the business and will either be back for your professional grade film or become a word-of-mouth soundboard for you, or both.   My :twocents.

I won't put my name on anything but my own film.  If you install something else and it fails then all people will see is that "xyz shop" did this job. 

3 hours ago, LeadfootCJ7 said:

Is there a reason that they want to provide the tint?

They think they have some magic film,  might be a film you don't carry like a more reflective,  back in the day the fader films were popular and had a customer or two wanted to get me to do those,  could be they think they are going to get a better price because they provide the tint. 

They don't understand that the film is a very small piece and it's more labor...