Paint on Clearcoat

Guest Renagade

Guest Renagade

Can someone please help? I had my 92 RS painted about 2 years ago, good quality paint job, not cheap crap. Anyway, right before I deployed to Iraq someone stole the car, and painted EVERYTHING and I mean everything (lights, windows, rims, you name it) with black (looks like spray paint). We got the car back and I got deployed for a year. The black has baked on pretty good, after a year. I did some experimenting with a orbital sander and some 3M 1500. Some of the paint came off, and the clear under it is good. Is there any way to get the black paint off the clear without damaging the clear. I can get some of it off with 1000 grit, but I takes an hour to get a small part clean. Looking for something a little quicker. Not sure if I should go to a 600 or 800. But that is my delima. I am going over the whole car after I get the paint off, with 1500 and 3000. Then compound and clean up the scratches. Any help would be appriciated. If this is the wrong place to ask for help I appoligize. Just point me in the right direction. Don't want to pay for a new paint job, right now.

Guest goldntint

You are definitely in the right place to get help. Just be patient and please wait until someone answers your question before you do anyhting else. Trust me :dunno it is very easy to screw up a paint job and incredibly hard to fix it once you do. Most of us on this site work very long hours and have families so it could take a little time to get an answer however while you wait you could take some pictures and post them because seeing what you have to work with makes helping a lot easier. By the way I don't trust that my advice would be the best that is why I haven't offered it, sorry

Is it cheap spray paint...first try some Graffetti remover. :dunno You can after the graffetti remover go to a compound called FARCELA and a wool pad and the buffing procedure while the car is wet...lot of work time and easy to clean up mess...I posted it on one of the threads...Now for the best advice take it to a good bodyshop so he can determine the quality of the sprayed graffetti and if your insurance will pay let it be done through them!Without a first hand look at problem its a tough call!A heavy grade claybar might also be an option :lol6

Guest Renagade

Hey, thanks for the advice. I really think that the paint is pretty cheap, since I can almost scratch it off with my fingernail. But some spots it is heavy. The insurance company sucks, and will raise my rates out the roof. But will try the alternatives. Any special graffiti remover, bettter than others? Also what kind of clay bar? Never really used one, but heard good stuff about them. Thanks again for the quick help. If I could stand to loose the car for some time, I would probably just get it done. But, trying to save money. And still be able to drive it daily. Only transportation right now. Thanks again.

You may want to try removing the paint with solvents. I wouldn't use anything sronger than laquer thinner, and would be careful with that. We use laquer thinner to remove scuff marks and spray paint. I t can damge your factory paint and will definitely damage vinyl trim. Try a test section first.

Acetone is a little less potent so maybe try that 1st.

We also have a product called automotive solvent taht we get from a distributor. This is our mildest solvent.

A good philosophy when using solvents is to find the one that is the mildest and work your way up to the stronger ones.

Laquer thinner can do some amazing things. You may have to do a good bit of compounding to fix your stock paint.

Call if you need somemore help -Jon 717-258-4000

Your write CW ,I originally put I would use laquer thinner but deleted as the public without our experience could do some damage...Make sure not to use on any plastic or lenses or any plastic with a clearcoat like trim...I would buy the most aggressive claybar I could find..if you go that route.Go to www.detailplus .com and they have a great price if you buy 5...equals about 10.00 a bar instead of 18 to 25 most sell for :shock Carwasher through you a life presearver so if you start to drown call him before the problem that comes up gets worse :shock Hopefully all works out fine ,just be patient!

Guest Renagade

Great info. Thanks for everyone's help. My wife saw acetone in the message, and she said to try some fingernail polish remover. Good job on her part. It worked, some of the heavy spots are being stubborn. I only tried on a few test areas. Question, will this hurt my clear or paint? and second is there a acetone that is a little stronger, made for this type of work? Here are a few pics of what I am working with. Thanks again.

Archived