polarized

Guest thetintshop

Guest thetintshop

:rollin that's not what I'm referring to. I can see the spots on alot of tempered glass without polarized glasses.

what I'm talking about is seeing the rainbow effect when looking at glass, through a tinted glass, while wearing polarized shades.

check out the series of pics that I took.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thetintshop

in this pic, I rolled the tinted window back up, held the shades in front of the camera lens, and took the picture through both of them at the same time.

Guest Repo

it's an interference pattern:

InterferScreenShot.jpg

just like the patterns you get when you look through two slightly offset screens.

Since it's on such a small scale you get a prism effect. :rollin

Guest metint

It is still a refraction of light produced by differing stress levels present in a material such as glass and or film (light comes in all colors of the rainbow depending which wavelength it possesses) ...

It (surface stresses) refracts and bends the light in a way that it disrupts some wavelengths more so than others... producing an absence of some colors and a magnification of others.

In the last pic TTS posted the wavelengths for red and green are visible while the wavelengths for the missing colors have been refracted or bent to the point of not being visible.

That's as simple an explanation that can be given... at least for now... light refraction, no more, no less... :rollin

Guest thetintshop

just so you know, I do see the other colors. I just couldn't get all of them to show up when I took the pic.

I've only had one person ever complain about it, so it's not a problem. but it does take some getting used to.

Guest metint
just so you know, I do see the other colors. I just couldn't get all of them to show up when I took the pic.

I've only had one person ever complain about it, so it's not a problem. but it does take some getting used to.

Okay then? you would now call this light diffraction?

Main Entry: dif?frac?tion

Pronunciation: di-'frak-sh&n

Function: noun

Etymology: New Latin diffraction-, diffractio, from Latin diffringere to break apart, from dis- + frangere to break -- more at BREAK

: a modification which light undergoes in passing by the edges of opaque bodies or through narrow slits or in being reflected from ruled surfaces and in which the rays appear to be deflected and to produce fringes of parallel light and dark or colored bands; also : a similar modification of other waves (as sound waves).

Polarized sunglass provide the narrow slits for this to occur.

If you were to take 2 seperate polarized lens and turn one 90 degrees to the other, it would be difficult or impossible to not see through to the other side.

Or for a more detailed look at diffraction?

http://31.1911encyclopedia.org/D/DI/DIFFRACTION_OF_LIGHT.htm

Archived