Streaks after window tint

Hello

i have just had my house windows tinted but im left with these hideous streaks.

I made the supplier retint the window and same thing happened. They tinted the rest of the windows without an issue.

they’re saying it’s a fault with the glass, which I find hard to believe. It’s just a double glazed window.

I tried scrubbing it from the outside but that did nothing 

any ideas what this could be? I’ve attached a photo

IMG_5348.jpeg

Edited by Wyeao

This is not the fault of the window tinter.  As you stated, all the rest of the windows are fine.  This is failure in the window itself, due to a leak between the panes of glass.  You have lost the gas in between the panes and moisture has gotten in.  

Edited by Bham

8 minutes ago, Wyeao said:

I see, I didn’t think double glazed windows had gas between the panes? I thought that was a thermally broken window. 

Also, wouldn’t I have noticed these streaks before the tint? I only noticed them afterward

Depending on where this window is and how quickly it dries after rain, no you might not have noticed it.  The amount of water and the pressure that it is sprayed at is how and why moisture has gotten thru.  

Edited by Bham

Yeah, dual-pane glazing units can fail at any point in time from day 1 and up. It's rare in the first couple of seasonal cycles, but you never know until it shows itself.

Dual and Triple pane systems rely on the seal between glass and spacer. Even there they can have a single seal; glass to spacer, or a double seal that wraps the outer edges and seals (encapsulates) spacer and glass as well. The latter is found in high quality glazing systems. The former brings trouble before its time.

The gas or dead air space between the panes has zero to little impact of failure of seals. Once a seal is compromised (for whatever reason), moisture intrusion occurs. It can be visible to the eye when cool and it can be microscopically invisible. What produces the visible lines, smudges, spots, etc. is the desiccant (located in the spacer to absorb any minute moisture). Kind of like the dry packets used in shipping goods.

Desiccant gets wet, heats up to vapor from sun exposure, it deposits on the interior of the system and once the sun dries it, you get a number of different aforementioned looks; some obvious, some not so much until film is applied.

You can have the one sash replaced, either through warranty based on seal failure or by out of pocket cost. Be sure you let the window folks know the other panes do not display the same as the one in question. They have a tendency to baselessly blame seal failure on applied window film, which our industry has dispelled through long term studies using the 'right' window film for the system.

Good luck :thumb