framed roll-ups with shifting glass

Guest SSC

by shifting I mean the glass moves forward or backward when you roll it down.

here's what happens:

put film on, trim back edge against gasket.

slide film a bit backwards, trim front edge against gasket.

roll down window slightly to trim top edge, the cuts are too far in because there's more glass showing on the front or back edge (depending on the car) than there was when the window was up.

we trim the sides halfway, and trim the rest of it after we rolled down the window slightly to trim the top edge. what we get are these 'ears' that *shouldn't* be visible... but this can't be the way to do it...

example (drawing):

ears.gif

is there a better way?

I really feel like a twit for asking, but you can see the experience level... roll-ups aren't our thing. windows that don't move are so much easier.

don't slaughter me.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DUDE. we are neighbors. We're in e-town. my husbands parents are in york. my pride has me not asking this really nice guy in manheim for tips (he doesn't do cars anymore). the web can be so nice and anonymous.

if you're in york... I'm trying to figure out if I know (of) you. ;)

Guest goldntint

They do have windows. We roll them down when we do Dr*g deals out of the carriages. :thumb But seriously I don't think that you would know me because so far all of my business is by word of mouth or the work that I do for the used car dealers. Right now it is more than enough to keep me busy. I just changed the name of the business to "It's In The Details" because of the different services that I offer.

Guest goldntint

Now to offer a tip for you. Buy yourself a piece of plate glass, I have a 4 foot X 6 foot piece on my wall that I do all of my final trimming on. Before you even put the film on to cut it roll the window the whole way down and then the whole way back up again. I have found that this should take care of the shifting problem. Now it sounds like you are doing everything correct but that you just need to trim the piece before you install it to get rid of the ears. Til you get used to your judgement trimming the piece trim it on the plate glass then trial fit it to the window before you actually apply it. If all is good, which it should be, peel and stick.

Guest goldntint

And don't forget the low speed ride by shootings! :thumb I have even gold plated the metal on my buggy :spit I am the mac daddy in my family :lol

Archived