Removing Small Creases on window film

Guest Litespeeds

Guest Litespeeds

I know that alot of tinters have creased the film while heatshrinking wet or dry. Instead of just throwing that piece away, you should try and see if you can remove that crease. If the crease is not too deep or defined, move the creased area into a finger that you would normally shrink and put your heatgun to it. Alot of times, the crease will disappear when the film shrinks. This seems to work better if you are dry shrinking with dryer sheets. As soon as you run your heatgun over that area, push hard with your glove or card over that area and usually the crease will disappear. You can also try and tug on the film to stretch it a little. Remember, this only works on minor creases. But it doesn't hurt to try it on a major crease to see if the film can be saved.

Guest Blade

I do something similar (if I crease it). :nope But not really with a finger, just an area of film that I can move over into the position of the crease. Then heat it up and push hard with a hard card. If the crease isn't too big it will definitely go away. :nope

Guest Litespeeds
I do something similar (if I crease it). :nope But not really with a finger, just an area of film that I can move over into the position of the crease. Then heat it up and push hard with a hard card. If the crease isn't too big it will definitely go away. :nope

I guess I shouldn't have called it a finger. Some people might mistaken that word for this! :nope:nope

Just make sure that creased area is lifted off the glass before you apply heat to it. It can be in a form of a finger, a bubble, etc. I know you experienced tinters know what I mean.

I do something similar (if I crease it).  :lol  But not really with a finger,  just an area of film that I can move over into the position of the crease.  Then heat it up and push hard with a hard card.  If the crease isn't too big it will definitely go away.  :hmmm

I guess I shouldn't have called it a finger. Some people might mistaken that word for this! :lol:evileye

Just make sure that creased area is lifted off the glass before you apply heat to it. It can be in a form of a finger, a bubble, etc. I know you experienced tinters know what I mean.

Same procedure here. Although, if it is a very small one, I just take my chances, install the film, and heat it out afterwards (if I can reach it easy enough). I try not to practice these procedures very often. :thumb

Guest SQUEEGEE
I know that alot of tinters have creased the film while heatshrinking wet or dry.  Instead of just throwing that piece away, you should try and see if you can remove that crease.  If the crease is not too deep or defined, move the creased area into a finger that you would normally shrink and put your heatgun to it.  Alot of times, the crease will disappear when the film shrinks.  This seems to work better if you are dry shrinking with dryer sheets.  As soon as you run your heatgun over that area, push hard with your glove or card over that area and usually the crease will disappear.  You can also try and tug on the film to stretch it a little.  Remember, this only works on minor creases.  But it doesn't hurt to try it on a major crease to see if the film can be saved.

Good tip litespeeds but TD (waaay back when I first started my tint journey) recommended I do exactly what you described when I had problems creasing early on.

I'm now "The Best Tinter Bar None" but haven't forgotten the lessons of the master Ric Nelson hisself.

BTW, I'm gonna bump my edge trimming removal tip up to get more exposure.

I'm in hot pursuit of MDOG's medal count. I'm not gonna let a crease removal tip steal my thunda! :)

:gasp

Guest Litespeeds

It really depends upon the severity of the crease. Not all creases will disappear. If they are too deep, they might appear to have gone away but once you install it, it will still show up but not as bad as it would have if not re-heated. Hope that wasn't too confusing. :shock

Archived