ford breakaway mirror removal

Guest thetintshop

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Eclipse

2 weeks ago I called a glass shop and asked them how to remove those the right way. I also used to take a deadblow and tap from the bottom up. They told me to take a small flatblade screwdriver, insert in at the base of the mirror and pry the mirror lose from the metal bracket. The damn thing (mirror) flies off. Put the pressure between the mirror and the metal bracket.

I have removed them the way you suggest TTS, I just never felt like it was a safe way to remove. It sounds like there is more than one way to skin a cat though. :hmmm

Guest thetintshop

you can insert a screwdriver in and pry it off. but don't insert it from the bottom, insert it from the TOP, and pry down. inserting it from the bottom makes it harder to remove and more likely to break. :hmmm

Guest oldtinter6000

I worked in a glass shop for a long time...we pulled the mirror down from the glass... still hate it... sometime though the mirror bracket ball and socket comes apart and thats another problem....

Grumpy Ol'Tinter... as long as my eyes are good and my hands are steady... I'll be slappin on tint...

Guest thetintshop
sometime though the mirror bracket ball and socket comes apart and thats another problem....

yes it will. if you do it wrong. it won't do that if you do it the way I showed you. I found that out the hard way. several times.

I do something like this, only, I don't just pull and pull untill it comes off. What I do is twist is slightly to the side until the lip that holds the mirror on the bottom of the bracket is away from the bracket, then wiggle it up until it slides off the bracket. Then, I spray it with WD-40 to put it on so that it slides down and seats easily.

Guest Zrok

I think equalizer has a tool (not sure if its equalizer or who) it's a 'modified' pair of channel locks that's got some fancy attachments on the jaws for re-installing these type of mirrors.. just line the mirror up, grab these 'pliers' ans squeeze, it firmly clips the mirror onto the button. that way no breaky, no fuss no muss. the shop where I do alot of work also does glass, so they have one of these. I'm surprised TTS doesn't have one :dunno

Guest thetintshop

don't need it. I'm a tool freak, but if there's a tool that's useless, I won't buy it. and this tool is useless.

the problem is not getting them back on, that part is super easy. it's getting them off. but that's easy too if you do it right. :passout

I have been doing them like that for years also but like OT I cracked a window. My partner bought a tool that he uses to remove them. I still do it the old fashiond way cause I am to lazy to walk over to the box and get the tool. :uh

Archived