advice needed

ok here's my dilema . I was offered a chance to become a partner . in a shop today. but not sure if I want to do it. I know that partnerships can be a giant pain in the rumpkiss. but it is a good opportunity. I have all plans on going into business for my self . next year around the beginning of march. doing comm and res. and auto but looking to fade out of auto in the years to come. the guy who offered it to me is pretty sick. just ghad a pacemaker put in . and had thyriod removed. thats why he is offering . he is to sick to keep up the pace. ive know him for years . and I know he is an honest person . so cheating me is not a problem . he is even offering me 60 40 me getting the 60 . witch sounds good. the problem is that . since he was sick he lost alot of his business. so it is somewaht slow. I can still make what I make now. working for someone else. but I also know that in a year I can double what I ma making now. I have a great reputation in this area. and even though most tinters hate each other. all the big guys love me. and would love for me to sub from them . so making money wont be hard. plus with all the marketing strategies I have learned on here. ill get alot of my own work. I quess what has me wondering what to do is . do I go with this guy now and start to build on what he allready has and split it with him 60 40 or do I wait a year and do it alone .

Decisions, decisions... Thats a tricky one pierce. I would think it might be a good oppertunity to get a jump-start with this guy as long as you are both clear on what you want in the future. If you are looking to run your own show, I'd let this guy know that and see if you could slowly take over the shop. If he wants to be a part of it for years to come, you'll find yourself wishing you had started on your own.

By the sounds of it your best option is to start your own shop. Its tough for the first year or so, but if you keep on the good side of some of those shops, you can do some sub work to keep you going while you build a customer base.

Guest tintchick

Yeah,,I might agree with the above,,,We started out as a partnership way back when with a neighbor,,,,don't need to say much than that :P

everyone has their own way of doing business, my husband and I even butt heads sometimes on issues with the company, so I'd just be careful with the whole partner thing,,especially if you have plans to venture off yourself one day,,,there are personal sides to people and business sides,,

im with both of you on the partner thing. I know it can be a hard having a partner. I do agree it could be great to have a jump start. what I am afraid of is building his business up and him wanting to stay . like you said for years to come. he said he plans on leaving entirley in a few years. but what if he channges his mind. I dont see him doing that. but lets face it money can change the best of us. how wrong would I be if I told him ok ill do it. and try it out for a year . and see how its going. I dont want to tell him I want my won thing. for fear he will think I am going to try to steal his customers.

Guest metint

Partnerships are just that.

Labels aside, if you get along with this guy as well as a wife, you may have a chance. Partnerships are like marriages, you are making a commitment to one another for the long haul.

Been there, too!

Nuff said.

:beach

Guest Zrok

be careful pierce, partnerships can be good, however there's this little problem if he kicks the bucket....his family can sue you for his share EACH.....it's a big pain in the ARS....go read a book titled 'inc. and grow rich'....it has all the information in there for you....if he's incorporated, he could make you a majority shareholder blah blah blah...and give you control of the business, or he could invest in your corporation as a silent shareholder...there's lots of ways to be 'partners' without the liabilities of being a partnership...I'd talk with a really really good tax attorney or at the very least someone with alot of experience in business law before you make any rash decisions. just my opinion....p.s. I'm a sole proprietor that sub's for the guy that fired me....how's that for ironic?? :beach

Guest metint
..p.s. I'm a sole proprietor that sub's for the guy that fired me....how's that for ironic??  :beach

Always pleasantly surprised when bridges are not burned.

Way kewl!

:cool:cool

Guest Zrok

yeah, in this town I try not to burn any bridges so as to maybe cross them again and pick up the money that lay by the wayside LMFAO actually when I was still an employee I threw the idea past him about subbing, and the day after he fired me I went to get my things and he offered me the subbing thing with a 60/40 split, I get 40, he provides the tint...I tint then I go home....not bad at all. it works well for both of us.

Guest DontWorryItWillDry

I don't know about the rest of you...but I'm thinkin' maybe this partnership thing may be to Pie's advantage in the long term. There would have to be conditions set though in a WRITTEN CONTRACT. It's late and will get into it later with you Pie.

Guest Zrok

I agree that it could be good, however if thngs don't go well, he could really get screwed.....as I suggested, I'd get the advice of an attorney and have that attorney draw up a contract that would protect the both of you in the unlikely event of a 'wrong turn' of events.

Archived