moving from auto to flat! any heads up?

Guest fimmo

Guest fimmo

I'm starting to offer flatglass tint but what do I need to know thats different from auto?

I've read a lot about thermal stress-how do I avoid that? is it about the absortion rate of the film I use? I take it I cant use the same film I use for auto? sorry about all these questions but I'm going for this!

G'day Fimmo,

Decorative, graffiti, security and spec select above 60% VLT should never give you a worry.

I'm not sure how much glass is made as IG in the UK, but dark reflective could cause you some grief unless the panes are tempered.

I'd probably hit the security film market especially with all the threats of worldwide terrorism at the moment. This should be a flavour of the year product. For you, the heat has gone out of Northern Ireland so that doesn't pose an immediate threat now.

Just some areas to consider.....schools. All our old school glass going back to who knows when has now got to be security/safety film screened. That alone is 1400 schools being done as we speak by many. :idea Logistically too big for just one company.

Politicians... every home and business address of theirs has to have its glass filmed as well for these people are in the public eye.

Police stations....same including the HQ.

Airports... I bet they have none.

White translucent... many signwriters are getting up our skirts with this one fitting 3M type signwriting vinyls. Huge market being lost to them!

Just for starters,

Devil

Guest fimmo

cheers devil!! :idea you've gave me some ideas!

so as long as I stay at 60% vlt and higher I wont have a problem right?

how do I know if it's tempered? will the tint affect double glazing?

I'm going to contact my local council within the next 2 weeks about schools and also the police hq here!

also going to contact our shell petrol company here,it's a big one and when I trained in southhampton their petrol refinery was told to get security tint put on as it might me a terrorist target!

hope this takes off!

Fimmo,

I've done a lot of petro chemical plants in safety film but that was back in the days when terror potential targets were never considered. Mainly for protecting glass fragments in the event of an explosion within the plant. It was good on-going money.

I'm not too much of an expert on IG units as Oz doesn't have them because of our climate. There are more qualified here on this board to answer your questions.

Tempered glass for us down here has a stamp fired onto the bottom corner to let glaziers know what type of glass it is. Just in case it could explode into a million pieces and they are not aware of the potential hazardous state during perhaps removal. Polaroid sunglasses will show up tempered glass like a spotty pattern, good little investment...... laminated won't.

Devil :idea

Guest archie_tinter

Fimmo, Devil

I'm in the middle of starting up flat glass too, what is a good spectrally selctive to use, I got some info from huper but it is not distributed in the UK and is rather expensive, are there any alternatives???

I've got all the info on conservatory tinting and now seems the season to start doing it. Also thinking of doing velux roof lights with external silver, would this be any good???

Cheers

Archie

Fimmo, Devil

I'm in the middle of starting up flat glass too, what is a good spectrally selctive to use, I got some info from huper but it is not distributed in the UK and is rather expensive, are there any alternatives???

I've got all the info on conservatory tinting and now seems the season to start doing it. Also thinking of doing velux roof lights with external silver, would this be any good???

Cheers

Archie

G'day Archie,

Spectrally selective films are all sputtered technology for starters. Totally different manufacturing process to the usual conventional vacuum deposit films.

To make them is more expensive and the multi-stacked metals and alloys that make up the reflective medium can be quite unique and expensive. Some maufacturers don't have this infrastructure in place to make them I believe.

I know Bekaert definately have an outlet in the UK, I don't know of their head office address....sorry, (Oakley Petts I think is the head honcho) but their product may go under the name of Panorama. It's Hi-Lite for us. They have a number of high VLT films ....their Stainless Steel ST60 and 70 A for eg.

CPF have a film close to V-Kool's VK 70 at a VLT of 60%. I presume it would be available in Europe.

V-kool sets the benchmark standard without doubt but it's not without some of its own little niggles.

Madico don't have one that light in their sputtered Sunscape range.

Sungard...wouldn't know and wouldn't care.

Johnson....don't think they have one either.

Hanita out of Israel.....same as above.

The Velux would have to have something installed like Kynar 500 for exterior use and as long as a limited time frame is quoted for outside application. Ig units aren't they all?

For conservatory tinting, Bekaert have a newish product called "Silver Shade" that is actually a reflective vinyl of sorts suitable for polycarb roof material glass. They have done a huge promo for it downunder in magazines etc..

Conservatories should be big business for you but they might be a bit tricky to install because of the location nature of the glass in these rooms.

Devil

Guest archie_tinter

Thanks Devil,

I have been trying to find who the Bekaert supplier is in the UK with no luck, do you have an email address or website for someone in Oz who might be able to tell me who the UK supplier is. The high VLT films are definitely the way forward here in the UK.

Cheers

Archie

Archived