Two piece Vs. One piece?

Guest crewdog10

Guest crewdog10

I always thought that doing a two piece was crappy, but it seams like a nice alternative to doing a one piece on extremely difficult windows. I couldn't one piece a stratus, so I cut the top and bottom out (the parts that I creased), and laid it down in three pieces. In retrospect, I probably should have just done a two piece to start with. You could just barely see the seam, but I guess after you do a few that problem goes away. Do you guys think that I should keep working on my one piece for harder cars or just two piece them???????????????

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I 2 piece some hard cars (like a bug). nothing wrong with it as long as you can make it look good.

back in the day I 2 pieced ALOT of cars and when I got good a shrinking I started doing more and more in 1.

as youi gain experience shrinking you will get better and start feeling more comfortable doing the hard ones in 1 but untill then just do it the way you want and keep your sanity :evileye dont stress over getting something in 1 piece if you can cut a good seam on a 2 piece backglass.

Guest crewdog10
Just cause you went and visited Protint.........don't let his rookie inferior ways of doing things discourage you.... :evileye:shock:shock

:beer:beer:shock Visiting protint was cool. He helped me out alot. I did a one piece on a T-bird the other day using a little trick that he showed me. No problems. :shock I need to get my skills up on these really curved windows. I almost got it in one piece, but couldn't pull through at the very end. :shock

Mdog, are your seams completely invisible?

Mdog, are your seams completely invisible?

when I do cut a seam its on the inside, if you have a steady hand you can cut a seam and the customer would never know.

the thicker the film the harder it is to hide the seam though. dyed films you can hide the seam very well but thicker metalized films its alittle more noticeable.

Guest crewdog10
when I do cut a seam its on the inside, if you have a steady hand you can cut a seam and the customer would never know.

I have a couple questions about this. :evileye

1. Why do you cut it on the inside? I would think that you risk cutting a defroster line.

2. Do you cut before or after the liner is peeled? I'm guessing before so that you can remove the excess under the film

When I cut the Stratus I did it on the outside and then reverse rolled each piece into place (I know that probably sounds dumb, but it was kind of fun to do since it was so easy). :shock

Archived