Tinting with GPS/Satellite Radio

Guest JDP

I figured this was a good place to ask this question...

Just took delivery of a '04 Accord EX 2 DR Coupe w/Navigation system.

In the handbook, it warns against using window tint that contains metallic substances, because that can block or interfere with the GPS and XM radio satellite. It says the antenna is mounted inside above the rear window shelf.

I checked with a local window tinter, and he says that he doesn't even use any window tinting film that does NOT have metallic in it, because the non-metallic films are cheap, wear poorly, fade, and do not provide as good heat and light resistance. Is that true?

Has anyone tinted a rear window on a car like the EX V6 2DR Coupe with metallic-based window film? If so, did it cause any kind of problem with the GPS or XM radio? What other kinds of material can I hope to find that won't interfere?

Thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thetintshop

yeah, honda really screwed up on that design didn't they? go get you a cheapo tint job, one of those $89 deals. you won't have any problems with the navigation and XM. :thumb but in 6 months, you'll have a whole new problem. :dunno

Guest tintslut

get either charcool from madico , llumastar at-ch from llumar, or huper ceramic.

First 2 are cheap, last one will cost you :dunno

yeah, honda really screwed up on that design didn't they? go get you a cheapo tint job, one of those $89 deals. you won't have any problems with the navigation and XM. :dunno but in 6 months, you'll have a whole new problem. :thumb

:tts However..and I'm not endorsing this ..I'll say again "I'm NOT endorsing this", but I had a customer just like you having the same concern with the same car..I tinted it with ATR Llumstar (metal components) with lifetime warranty with the understanding if it messed up his system, HE paysto have it removed...that was 5 months ago..never heard back from him (he's either too embarassed and went somewhere else to have it removed...or it really did never affect it :spit

Isn't the antenna for the GPS/XM in the dots? Just use vinyl. I would still use a film like charcool, #m colorstable, or something similar just to be safe. How much did you spend on the car? Spend 2% of that on the Huper Optik ceramic film and you won't regret it. INSANE heat reduction and no problems with ANY signal getting through.

my antenna for the xm is on the roof and it works fine, I dont know where the navigation antenna is though. I can say DEFINITELY it WILL NOT mess with xm radio if its like my accord.

Guest Speedy

Solargards NR truegrey has a lifetime warranty on it find someone that uses solargard and can get the the truegrey line youll never have to worry about it again.

Tell the local dealer that you talked to that the film industry has developed a new film now (almost over four years old) called extruded. The film has no metals in it and comes with a lifetime warranty against discoloration :lol6

Most major film manufatures carry and extruded line of film. :spit

Archived