Tinting with GPS/Satellite Radio

Guest JDP

Guest metint
Well, as an update, I went ahead and found a tinter in my area who uses Huper Optik for my 2004 Accord coupe.

Just got it done this morning, and sure enough, the navigation system is dead. The system won't track my position, it basically just shows an icon on the map spinning around.

Oddly enough, the XM Radio works.

Someone mentioned that they thought the antenna was in the "dots" around the top of the back glass. The tinter tinted over these dots. Could that be why the GPS is dead?

I have a call into him to see what can be done.

GPS could be under the rear deck inside the trunk... this position, too, poses a problem when a conductive film is installed.

Seriously doubt GPS antenna is on the glass... I believe GPS needs more meat to the antenna than what can be achieved by placing it on the glass surface.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blade
Solargards NR truegrey has a lifetime warranty on it find someone that uses solargard and can get the the truegrey line youll never have to worry about it again.

:rollin:rollin

In the handbook, it warns against using window tint that contains metallic substances, because that can block or interfere with the GPS and XM radio satellite.

I see this warning more and more with only a few makes/models actually having any issue with inteference. In those few vehicles we use Formula One's Pinnacle Series. The way I understand it is that conductivity of films decreases signal strength and conductivity is measured in OHMS of resistance. The information I see indicates other "ceramic type" films and films with metals have measurable OHMS while the Pinnacle Series films do not meaning it is non-conductive and won't interfere with reception. I'm told Pinnacle was developed to specifically address and handle the inteference issue.

I tried to tell you man

Was it HO's infamous 'ceramic' technology or one of their metal based films used?

Yes, curious tinters want to know which film was installed

Yes, it was supposedly in fact HO's "ceramic" film, which according to their website "Minimises interferences with GPS systems and cellular phone" (www.huperoptik.com). What a bunch of BS.

Well, I'm here to tell you, in case any of you run into this situation in the future. The HO ceramic 40 CAN and DID K1ll my GPS navigation DEAD on my 2004 Accord coupe. I'm sure the HO distributor will be hearing it from my installer, too.

The installer was understanding, and he wants to remove the HO all the way around and re-do it with a non-metalized, non-dyed film with a warranty for about $100 less, which he will refund to me. Since I'm into this project for $260 already, I suppose we'll try it. He says I shouldn't have a problem with it.

I probably should have done more research, but I was taking HO's word for it that the ceramic-based tint was an acceptable (and better) alternative to metalized films, particularly on the point of not interfering with the GPS antenna.

who knows about the TL ?,,, BUT the TSX has the gps antenna under the rear shelf . Alpine or Pioneer makes Nav parts for Honda/Acura. FOR those who really want the heat rejection benefits of a High Performance FIlm, buy a exterior mounted

Gps Antenna :bingo

Archived