rear quarter window

Guest carnoisseurcraig

Guest carnoisseurcraig

I have just finished a tinting course and really need to get my confidence up.

Im struggling with the rear quarter windows on five door cars. How do I cut out the template accurate.

Also, because the seal is so tight the film struggles to get inbehind the rubberseal.

Can someone give me ideas how to avoid the dreaded light lines scenario

Cheers guys.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on those type windows I take a piece of clear liner and put it on the window and cut it perfectly, then I take it over to my cutting glass and put some film on the glass and put the liner on top of it and just cut the pattern slightly larger, thats the easiest way for me.

next I trim the rubber gasket on the inside all around the window if possible, you only need to click your blade out one or two clicks or so to do this. what your doing here is triming that rubber out and making a channel all around the glass for your enlarged pattern to fit so you will not get light gaps. the trick to this method is practice so you dont butcher the rubber while your trimming it, when you get good at it and used to handeling the knife you can do it without the customer even knowing you did it.

Guest tintgod
on those type windows I take a piece of clear liner and put it on the window and cut it perfectly, then I take it over to my cutting glass and put some film on the glass and put the liner on top of it and just cut the pattern slightly larger, thats the easiest way for me.

next I trim the rubber gasket on the inside all around the window if possible, you only need to click your blade out one or two clicks or so to do this. what your doing here is triming that rubber out and making a channel all around the glass for your enlarged pattern to fit so you will not get light gaps. the trick to this method is practice so you dont butcher the rubber while your trimming it, when you get good at it and used to handeling the knife you can do it without the customer even knowing you did it.

:dunno:thumb

Guest carnoisseurcraig

yeah, I was totally puzzled when I came accross the window.

Its was organised throught Johnsons window films.

Cost an arm and a leg.

Guest fimmo

I'm in fife and I did the johnsons course! what did you think of it?

are you going to be doing tinting full time? or is it and 'extra' for a business you already have?

Guest carnoisseurcraig

Well I own Carnoisseur up in Inverness. I thought the course wasnt worth the ?1000. Not a hope in hell.

Ok, I can shrink a rear screen but so much was left un touched. Im learning more on this site than I did on the actual course.

I just need more cars to get my experience up.

Craig

Guest naughtydog

"Talking wont get you there - practice will" :ot

Be prepared to trash some film practising - I still do - you'll get there in the end

Naughtydog

Guest DaleB

Ye I went on that course through johnsons,they sent me to a company called REFLEXIS they didn`t even show me to dry shrink only THE wet shrink way.I contacted JOHNSONS when I got back asking why wasn`t we shown dry shrinking,and the answer I got was REFLEX where on the other line and they said that I left early on the last day and they did it then, ye right I said quarter of an hour early I left thats all ,needless to say I contacted one of the lads who was on the course aswell who stayed that extra 15 mins to to see if they were telling me porkie pies, and yes they were :beer . At a cost of ?1000 +travelling+digs+food I thought not worth the money didn`t even get a freebie lil chizler at the end of it :passout .

Archived