rear quarter window

Guest carnoisseurcraig

Guest Rama

The best thing to do is find a shop that will let you spend a few days watching them. Going to a class is all good and well, but real learning takes place on the shop floor. Find a tint shop a ways away from you so you won't be competition, and offer them some money to let you shadow them for a few days.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tinster

I have never seen anybody dry shrink, and I have never done it myself. I have absolutely no problem wet shrinking any window. Ive seen the dry shrinking 'tutorial' on this site, and I must say..it looks a lot harder and more involved than wet shrinking. I guess you stick with what you know!

I also have never attended one of these so called 'tint schools'. Ie always been told they were a joke,a dn Ive tinted with a few ppl that were 'certified tinters'. If they meant certified in not being able to tint, they hit the nail on the head!

Everyone else is right, you need to watch someone GOOD tint, not some tint school floozie. LOL :passout

L1000?????

Whats that?

Whats the deal with dry shrinking. Is it better.

Type in how much it cost you in your currency. That first symbol, L shaped thing with a line in it. I don't live in Europe, and I've never been there, so I don't know where on my keyboard that symbol might be. I was sure you could figure it out. L1000 is awfully close to what you typed as the cost of the tint course. And yes, dry shrinking IS that much better.

Ive seen the dry shrinking 'tutorial' on this site, and I must say..it looks a lot harder and more involved than wet shrinking.

If you can wet shrink, you can dry shrink in your sleep. Just try it. It's the same procedure as wet, shrinking-wise.

Guest Tinster

I would only try it if I could watch someone in person that is good at it. Im not against it, dont get me wrong...it might work better than wet shrinking< ive never been around it, so I stick to what I know :uh

have absolutely no problem wet shrinking any window. Ive seen the dry shrinking

Then you will love dry shrinking. After the install you don't have to chase fingers along the bottom of the window in most cases. It will lay flat.

Guest fimmo

as I said before,I did the johnsons course and what I learned was small but it made the biggest difference! I've learned so much since then! also,dry shrinking- this was part of the course but I never got to have a go because of two things 1. it was a friday and we finished about 1pm and 2 there was another 'trainee' from yorkshire I think,and he was taking so long to do it,in the end we ran out of time,thing is if we had done 3 full days I would have been given a shot of it! ah well, if there are any tinters in scotland who want to learn but want more of a chance then by all means pay me the money and I'll show you!!!!

for the record- ?1 = $1.78 at the moment so if it's a ?1000 course that = $1780 for 3 days training plus travel,food,digs etc :shock:shock:shock

Guest naughtydog

I did a LuLu course and still keep in close contact with one of the trainers. The only way you can get any good is by practising and asking questions. I sometimes go in there to practice shrinking, like VW bugs etc just to keep on top of things.

You really need to have other irons in the fire at the early stages as it takes to long and you can trash film just getting the right results.

I'm still slow but my work is cleaner than ever know, thanks to my own self-motivation to do a good job and of course - TintDude

Naughtydog

I do this to:

next I trim the rubber gasket on the inside all around the window if possible, you only need to click your blade out one or two clicks or so to do this. what your doing here is triming that rubber out and making a channel all around the glass for your enlarged pattern to fit so you will not get light gaps. the trick to this method is practice so you dont butcher the rubber while your trimming it, when you get good at it and used to handeling the knife you can do it without the customer even knowing you did it.

But I trim the film like this: I follow my finger with my olfa one click out in one continuous motion when trimming those little quarters on 4 doors.

You can see my TOTW, to see how I actually apply the film!

TTC :hmmm

Archived