Expensive Day!!

Guest tintsem

Guest tintsem

I knew better, but was in such a hurry I trimmed the tint on the inside of the back glass of a 01 Dodge Ram today. Needless to say I cut the black border all the way across the top. The worse part is that I did'nt know it til the customer brought it back and questioned me about it. $500.00 installed. Ouch!! :coffee Thats what happens when your employee uses the Computer-cut to cut a pattern for a excab instead of a quad-cab. I'll blame this one on him :ahole He's only got 10 days left anyways.

Guest SQUEEGEE

I've cut on the inside too many times to count because of headache racks and tool boxes which are very common in texas.

I don't want to jinx myself here but there's a certain feel you get with the knife that tells you you're using too much pressure to cut.. Just my personal observation. I practiced alot early on with scrap tint on my own car to get a feel for it. I purposely used too much pressure just to see what it would feel like and adjusted accordingly. Now it's like muscle memory - same pressure each time with the excetion of some Hondas that have very sensitive glass - learned that one from TD.com!

Guest thetintshop

I just assumed everybody did this, but doesn't anyone use a template for encapsulated back glasses on trucks?

I have my glass on the wall, and I use pinstripe on the back side to mark the template of all excapsualted truck BGs. I have ford 1/2 tons, full size chevys, full size dodges, s-10's, dakota's, and a couple others. I roll off the film, lay it on the template and cut around it just like I would if it was on the truck. we have too many trucks with toolboxes and headache racks around here, so this is just easier. plus, no climbing in the bed.

Guest tintsem

I do normally, but was just in a hurry. I already had what I thought was the right back glass tint cut but was the wrong one so I did a quick trim and threw away a quick 5. This is a beginner mistake made by a 16yr veteran.

like squeej headache racks and all that crap here in texas :coffee

we install sliding backglasses in trucks here and I keep a solid takeout window from each truck in the shop, that way I can just whoop a pattern out and not mess with all that s**t in the way, I save liners also for the ones I dont have a glass of, works out really well, I also save the liners off visors for the major trucks, this way I can just copy it real quick and I dont have to mess with cutting one on the vehicle and cleaning all the bugs off the windshield for free :sad I hate that.

Guest Tint Wiz

You have to get a feel to cut on out side of car I only do it if it`s the first time doing that car , I just use templates that I keep for each car carn`t afford fanncie plotter. jerkit.gif

Guest Rama

Hey Squeegee, I'm with you on cutting on the inside sometimes. Have to do it every so often, and your right. Learning how to exert just enough pressure is the trick.

Archived