1963 Chevy Belair back window

McCoyH

Anyone ever done one of these? Everything was pretty strait forward but when I try to install the back glass piece the sides curl off. Doesn't seem to make a difference if i shrink it all the way to the edge or just the middle portion that isn't curved...

Any tips would be awesome!

ebay499771.jpg

I had the same problem on an old Bandit Trans-Am.  On the outside it lays down with a little stretch, but on the inside is wants to pop of the curve :mad

Have also had this problem on the fourth gen Camaros.  

The only way I could fix it was with a weaker slip solution.  Not so much soap(almost to point it sticks to quickly)  It's a little tricky but it will adhere if your tint adhesive is aggressive enough.  Also as soon as you have it installed, use straight water(no soap at all) for your rewet and finishing squeegee water.  This will help rinse the soap out of your edges.  

It is also a good idea to have a helper on the outside with a heat gun(lightly heating the curve spots)  as you are installing.  This will also make the adhesive tack up and take the curve better.  

Also, you might have to trim it a little short to keep it off those hard black silicone gaskets.  They will cause the film to want to pop back.  If this happens and you have to trim it; wait on it to dry really well then go back with a brush or paint pen and make the light gaps go away.  

I hope this helps.   :twocents   :hat

I had the same problem on an old Bandit Trans-Am.  On the outside it lays down with a little stretch, but on the inside is wants to pop of the curve :mad

Have also had this problem on the fourth gen Camaros.  

The only way I could fix it was with a weaker slip solution.  Not so much soap(almost to point it sticks to quickly)  It's a little tricky but it will adhere if your tint adhesive is aggressive enough.  Also as soon as you have it installed, use straight water(no soap at all) for your rewet and finishing squeegee water.  This will help rinse the soap out of your edges.  

It is also a good idea to have a helper on the outside with a heat gun(lightly heating the curve spots)  as you are installing.  This will also make the adhesive tack up and take the curve better.  

Also, you might have to trim it a little short to keep it off those hard black silicone gaskets.  They will cause the film to want to pop back.  If this happens and you have to trim it; wait on it to dry really well then go back with a brush or paint pen and make the light gaps go away.  

I hope this helps.   :twocents   :hat

Awesome response thank you so much, really good ideas!

Good for you :cool   Vehicles like that really make your head work.  It's not the usual walk-thru.....  I love it!!!   :film   :olfa

And yes, post up some pics post-28358-0-07717700-1438347604.gif

Archived