How to remove wax?

Guest Wellington P Funk

Guest Wellington P Funk

Hey all,

First off, I just wanted to say that I love this forum. Lots of great info for someone previously tint-illiterate. Not to mention an abundance of good-natured busts and bashes going on here.

Anyway, I've got an '02 Jeep Liberty Sport, the one with the black/gray plastic fender flares and bumpers. I got a little ambitious last weekend and decided to give her a good washing and waxing. Unfortunately, not having waxed a car in some time, I got a little hasty and sloppy, and ended up slinging wax onto the gray plastic pieces a bunch of times.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until the next day when the wax dried and got all chalky and bad-looking.

So does anybody have any tricks for removing wax from unpainted plastic trim? I'm really stuck here, my Jeep looks like it was in some kinda pidgeon-pooping contest! Also, any suggestions for a readily-available plastic trim dressing?

Thanks in advance!

-Bob

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was someone else's car you might try a wire brush and gasoline on the paint and a mice smooth rag on the plastic.

:spit

On my own car try a soft bristle brush and some quick detail or armor all or something like that. Honestly I'm not a detail guy and haven't ever gotten wax on plastic. I'm too lazy so I go slow to keep from having that happen. :hmmm

try an all purpose cleaner and a stiff brush.

If you have access to a hot water pressure washer try blasting it off.

You most likely arent going to get it all out. Chrysler vehicles all have rediculous rubber trim that absorbs wax like crazy. You can make it look better though.

Dont use any solvent based cleaners on the trim because the color will fade.

Lesson here is the dont get it on there in the 1st place.

Guest metint
Slickest trick in the books for the weekend warrior is ...peanut butter oil...and a toothbrush....skip the xtra chunky thou :beer Trust me it works and is very safe :lol

Wow... :hmmm who would've thunk it? :lol:thumb

Guest Wellington P Funk

Yeah Bandit, I'd heard that trick on a Liberty forum a while ago, tried it real quick, but didn't seem to take out all the spots. I'll definitely give it another shot though, glad to hear it's a legitimate trick and not just internet b.s.

Thanks!

-Bob

Guest tintgod
Slickest trick in the books for the weekend warrior is ...peanut butter oil...and a toothbrush....skip the xtra chunky thou :thumb Trust me it works and is very safe :thumb

how about a little grape jelly oil with it....mmmmmm..im geting hungry already.. :thumb

Archived