Starting tool adivice...

I want to try messing around with a hood on a stand to practice (just getting a feel for dragging the tool etc) before I commit to a big set. Any idea what tools to start with, I just want to buy a couple of them. A pointed end? A larger tip? How long, what bend etc. I know most shapes are for access and since I am practicing on a hood access is not an issue. Thanks!

Guest Express Dent

If you watch 10 different Techs you'll proabably see 10 different tools. If your going to use an S hook for leverage then use a rod maybe in the range of 24" to 32" long. Longer and you will have a difficult time controling it. Shorter you may be fighting leverage and have to use to much force to see where the tip is without leaving "tracks".

If I'm working in an open area and can get good positioning I like to use a "spoon" there are a variety of "spoons" out there so you may need to handle a few to see what fits you best.

As far as the tips go I select the tool and tip according to the dent. For practice I would tell you to use a tool with a "pointed" tip. You should be spending your time on the hood learning to pinpoint at EVERY moment where the tool tip is without leaving any tracks on the panel. Dont get over anxious and start trying to fix a dent without even knowing exactly where your push is.

If your only going to "try" this out get yourself a cheapy set off of ebay just for your learning curve. You will be able to get an idea of what you like without spending much cash.

Thanks, that's just the info I am looking for. I found a book on PDR that had some helpfull info and all I want to do at this time is learn how to accurately drag a tool. The book recommended drawing a bunch of circles on a hood and practicing hitting the centers. I will find a fine tip tool about 2 3 feet long as you reccomend. I have spoken to a couple of schools but I think I will just practice on my own and see what happens. If I think I have the feel or desire to continue I may speak with a guy I know who lives and works about 8 hours away from me to see if I can spend a few days with him in exchange for helping him tint and helping him learn some new tricks....I have been tinting for over 10 years and for the last year worked for one of the big manufacturers, part of my job was doing dealer training. By the way what exacly is a "spoon"? I am guessing it is a straight tool with a single bend at the end.... :thumb

I appreciate the info...it's amazing, I called a couple of schools for info and one of them pretty much insists I buy tools from them ($2000!). Another said that I can use the schools equipment when I am there and then buy from them or whoever I want.

I am a tool nut, just ask my Snap-On dealer but I can't see any 2 people using ALL of the same tools, there must be preferences. This is why I don't want to commit to thousands of dollars of tools until I have a clue of what I am doing.

One other question about equipment...I am going to make up a stand for a fluorescent light. What size bulb do you recomend? Also for putting the "stripe" or black line down the middle, tape, paint marker? Do I put it on the bulb or the diffuser?

Thanks again, I checked out the Dentgear site and will order a few tools to start.

Guest Express Dent

I've only ever used a light for hail damage. Its easier to set up a boom light so you can work large areas of a panel without constantly moving a board. As far as what your asking I would suggest going to a local glass company and getting a 12"-16" wide by 3' long piece of white plexiglass. Spray with black paint a "fog" line the length of the board. You can get the idea by looking at some tool company sites and seeing what they are selling. I prefer a solid center with some light overspray edges. I believe a reflection board with fine or taped off edges makes a dent more difficult to finish, the "fuzzy" egde gives better reflection for minor imperfections.

You will ultimately need to find your own preference when it comes to a reflection board.

Oh and you will need light if your working inside, you can get any flourescent fixture it doesnt need to be the full length of the board. Use a small bungee cord and just strap it to the back of the board plug it in find what works best for you to set it up for the panel your working and start practicing. This will save you some money over buying a mobile tech lite and does just as good if not better of a job.

Guest tintguy71

gooodtohave,

try checking out ultra dent tools, they have interchangeable handles so you don't have to buy a left or right handed tool, you can just buy one and turn the handle for more leverage or if somethings is int he way like the door pillar for instance.

Archived