B/G Powder Shrink Question

Guest Old Dude

Guest Old Dude

Alright guys I jinxed myself! Not too long ago I had gotten cocky on powder shrinking back glasses, I had many that went my way and I thought I was on my way to the promised land of modern proffesionalism, until lately. I've had a couple of pretty easy cars (Sunfire and a new Altima) that I struggled with. The sides are not laying down upon install as if the film was over shrunk but layed down on the wet check (not easily though). I feel I've changed something in my shrinking but don't know what :gasp I'm laying a straight horizontal wet line across then anchoring. (For example upper left corner) I lay down the edge with my hand as I start to shrink from edge to right a few inches then move up and repeat until I'm at top. Then repeat until I reach center. I shrink in circles so it's kind of like I shrink up and over at the same time. Does holding the edge down tighten the sides too much? I know alot of tinters use an H shaped wet anchor which is kind of the same. I'm using S/T carbon and this is the only film it's happend with although some jobs with same film have gone fine (flatter glasses though). I know this is as hard to comprehend as it is to explain but I've got to redo the Sunfire tomorrow and don't want to waste a lot of film trying to figure this out.

Your lesser peer, :evileye

Old Dude

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Old Dude

No TD I've never tried that method although I've seen it mentioned in a few post. Is it the same as wet shrinking where you shrink a whole finger at the time or do you gradually shrink like powder. I don't expect a full explanation cause I know how hard is to tell rather than show hands on. Or is there a post on the board that covers a good bit of it? Thanks!

The shrinking part is more like powder than wet, the film only sticks to the glass where you smooth it down, until then it floats like dry, but when you finish an area, it's all laying down flat as if wet.

To do it, just get a shop towel wet and lather it up with some bar soap, smear it all over the window in a light coat and let it dry (it dries very quickly).

Use a horizontal anchor like normal, but don't use water for it, you wont need it. If you are in a dusty area, right before you lay the film onto the glass, lightly wipe the window for dust with a dry towel after the soap is dry to get better 'stick'.

Guest tintgod
No TD I've never tried that method although I've seen it mentioned in a few post. Is it the same as wet shrinking where you shrink a whole finger at the time or do you gradually shrink like powder. I don't expect a full explanation cause I know how hard is to tell rather than show hands on. Or is there a post on the board that covers a good bit of it? Thanks!

[*]242896

buy the video :evileye

Archived