Does security film REALLY hold up in a hurricane??

Guest Munkey

Guest Munkey

My Mom called me up today saying that she's gonna have all the windows in her 2 story house covered with some kind of Matico 4mil tinted security glass for the upcoming hurricane season (we're in Corpus Christi, TX.) I took a glance at some of the literature, and I keep seeing the words "reduced chance of breakage" and "minimizes the likelihood of breakage" etc.

So, does security glass REALLY provide protection during a hurricane? I can see how it would hold the glass together, kinda like laminated glass in a windshield, but we're still gonna have a darn broken window to replace, and get re-covered after the storm. Does this stuff really make the glass stronger??

Any words, or advise will be greatly appreciated by me, and dear 'ol Mom!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi,

glass is glass and its either going to break or crack, what the security film or safety is for, is for when someone tries to break in upon the glass being impacted the glass wont fall all over the place instead it holds it in place, and trying to push in on the glass after being impacted it will be hard because of the strong adhesive that safety film has..

now another thing, hurricane, or earthquake, lets say your in the house, and a strong wind starts to go in your direction, if your house is impacted, the glass in all our house will break obviously and you'll have glass fragments all over in the air with the possibilities of of fatal personal injury, oppose to when you have some protection, glass will only crack in place and you wont have any dangerous glass flying all over the place..... I tend to lose myself sometimes in explaining all this, so I hope I was somewhat clear....good luck!

Guest TintPoser
My Mom called me up today saying that she's gonna have all the windows in her 2 story house covered with some kind of Matico 4mil tinted security glass for the upcoming hurricane season (we're in Corpus Christi, TX.)  I took a glance at some of the literature, and I keep seeing the words "reduced chance of breakage" and "minimizes the likelihood of breakage" etc. 

So, does security glass REALLY provide protection during a hurricane?  I can see how it would hold the glass together, kinda like laminated glass in a windshield, but we're still gonna have a darn broken window to replace, and get re-covered after the storm.  Does this stuff really make the glass stronger??

Any words, or advise will be greatly appreciated by me, and dear 'ol Mom!

[*]298365

Yes.

And is if it weeren't for the ass-a-nine dade county large missle testing, more people would probably have it done. window film is an awesome solutions for upgrading existing glass to a very good level of protection. Many people down there end up doing nothing to their glass because they fear since it does not meet the extreme Dade county code, it can't be an appropriate solution. It's like not buying a used car, and taking the bus to work, just because it doesn't meet the current "new car safety standards".

The glass will break when impacted by large debris, but it will hold it in place. You want to keep the building envelope intact.

Guest Guest

No! It is not hurricane protection!! Hurricane protection is getting into a car and driving away from the storm for the individual and replacing all glass with laminated glass and shutters around the home! Even then, how well are the window frames held in the structure? How well is the roof held to the structure? What direction are the winds coming from in respect to the home's weak spot? What is the duration of of pressure/suction on the glass after it breaks??

A well known film supplier's distribution center was hit in Miami when Andrew went through in '92; windows had 4 mil, 7 mil, 0 mil and a couple with 10 mil. All were affected in various ways by the storm, from remaining intact, to the entire window being blown out frame and all. Don't bank on what the God's will do at any given moment.

S&S film retains glass fragments. Glass is not made stronger except through tempering or heat strengthening. I've seen golf balls go through glass with 4 mil S&S installed. What do you think will happen if a coconut, clay roofing shingle or a tree hits the glass at a high rate of speed.

If she is bent on S&S films as a solution, 8 mil is a minimum thickness, in combination with a small bead of structural sealant as edge retention, is what need be considered as an after the fact improvement.

Even then, it comes with no guarantee of protection!

Guest TintPoser
No! It is not hurricane protection!! Hurricane protection is getting into a car and driving away from the storm for the individual and replacing all glass with laminated glass and shutters around the home! Even then, how well are the window frames held in the structure? How well is the roof held to the structure? What direction are the winds coming from in respect to the home's weak spot? What is the duration of of pressure/suction on the glass after it breaks??

A well known film supplier's distribution center was hit in Miami when Andrew went through in '92; windows had 4 mil, 7 mil, 0 mil and a couple with 10 mil. All were affected in various ways by the storm, from remaining intact, to the entire window being blown out frame and all. Don't bank on what the God's will do at any given moment.

S&S film retains glass fragments. Glass is not made stronger except through tempering or heat strengthening. I've seen golf balls go through glass with 4 mil S&S installed. What do you think will happen if a coconut, clay roofing shingle or a tree hits the glass at a high rate of speed.

If she is bent on S&S films as a solution, 8 mil is a minimum thickness, in combination with a small bead of structural sealant as edge retention, is what need be considered as an after the fact improvement.

Even then, it comes with no guarantee of protection!

[*]298428

Yes,

But it is better than not haveing safety film.

Guest fisherman

So, does security glass REALLY provide protection during a hurricane? I can see how it would hold the glass together, kinda like laminated glass in a windshield, but we're still gonna have a darn broken window to replace, and get re-covered after the storm.

Safety and security window film is designed as a retro fit. If you and your property survive a hurricane, I would be thankful to have to replace some windows, especially if the film kept the glass intact and kept the water out of the house.

Also dont overlook the film will virtually eliminate ultra violet and some of the security films will reduce solar heat: Add that the film be be on the windows, always prepared, for years, it is a very smart investment.

Guest metint
So, does security glass REALLY provide protection during a hurricane?  I can see how it would hold the glass together, kinda like laminated glass in a windshield, but we're still gonna have a darn broken window to replace, and get re-covered after the storm. 

Safety and security window film is designed as a retro fit. If you and your property survive a hurricane, I would be thankful to have to replace some windows, especially if the film kept the glass intact and kept the water out of the house.

Also dont overlook the film will virtually eliminate ultra violet and some of the security films will reduce solar heat: Add that the film be be on the windows, always prepared, for years, it is a very smart investment.

[*]300878

:duck How is Colorado these days, fisher?

Archived