No attatchment system for 3M security film?

Guest MoW

Q15. How do 3M? Scotchshield? (Ultra) Safety and Security Window Films work?

A15. 3M? Scotchshield? Ultra Safety and Security Window Films are designed to make glass shatter-resistant by holding the glass pieces together when broken.

Compared to 3M? Scotchtint? films, 3M? Scotchshield? Window Films are made with thicker polyester and a much thicker, more aggressive adhesive, 3M? Scotchshield? Ultra Films are unique in the industry; they are built using a special micro-layered polyester technology which increases the films' tear resistance significantly. Pound for pound, the impact and tear resistance of Scotchshield Ultra films outperform all other films of similar thickness.

3M Rep. came out today and quoted me on their safety/security film---4mil for storm protection and sun block. They are double pane windows throughout. Claims a lifetime warranty and aboutx per square foot. The installation is done on the inside? of the windows and there is no attatchment system applied? Is this correct? Any other questions or info I should be aware of before deciding---xis alot of money to spend and I want to be sure. Thanks.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber

We're not into quoting prices here but that is alot of $$$ for 4mil security film. If they install it on your slider door the glass is most likely tempered which means that it will fragment into tiny little pieces when broken. If there is not attachment system to hold the film to the window frame then it will simply fall inward as one piece of shattered glass.

FWIW- Anti-intrusion we go minimum 8mil and always some type of attachment on tempered glass.

Guest vclimber
Compared to 3M? Scotchtint? films, 3M? Scotchshield? Window Films are made with thicker polyester and a much thicker, more aggressive adhesive, 3M? Scotchshield? Ultra Films are unique in the industry; they are built using a special micro-layered polyester technology which increases the films' tear resistance significantly.

[*]399130

What a lot of hot crock.

I'd love to see the tests side by side with each and every other distributors' products there.

Where's the cred? There with the lifetime BS. Says it in one. :beer

Devil

[*]399151

It would be nice to see the results Dev. Gee, how much thicker can a 4mil film get? :beer

Yes, the film goes on the inside. The 4 mil may help keep the glass together a little bit, but if your looking for a bit of security... :spit

It would also be wise to get another quote or two. :spit 8 mil with some kind of anchoring will be a lot stronger :spit

Yes, the film goes on the inside.  The 4 mil may help keep the glass together a little bit, but if your looking for a bit of security...    :spit         

It would also be wise to get another quote or two.  :spit      8 mil with some kind of anchoring will be a lot stronger :spit

[*]399195

Thanks for the replies. He claims that 4mil is all that is needed on 3M compared to others(Llumar etc...), that 3M is the only film that won't tear, and uses no metal. The problem with getting "other" quotes is our rural location. Not many to choose from here(about 45 miles south of Orlando. Guess shutters will be my only option. Thanks.

Here's an article I found regarding the 3M 4 mil and technical info----

By Linda K. Monroe

Since the first sun control window film was patented in 1966 by St. Paul, MN-based 3M Co., commercial building owners and facilities managers have relied upon window film to improve worker productivity through reduced glare and to lessen the damaging effects of the sun?s ultraviolet rays from fading carpet, upholstery, and furnishings. An added benefit of such films was a modicum of improved safety if the glass was broken. The industry soon realized, however, that specially developed safety/security films could protect occupants from violent weather, vandalism, and other breaks under impact as well. From thicker films with thicker adhesives to today?s micro-layering, the 25-year evolution in window films now provides facilities professionals with a technology that is truly cutting-edge.

?We started out with single-layer films that were thicker and attached with stronger adhesives,? explains Jim Mannix, marketing manager at 3M Consumer Safety and Light Management Department, St. Paul, MN. ?We learned over time, however, that layers make a difference. Instead of a 4-mil-thick product of straight 4-mil polyester, we evolved into a 2-plus-2 [mils each] laminated together, because we found those layers had enhanced impact-absorption qualities; there?s some give within the layers.

?Today, our product takes another leap ? in terms of 3M innovation ? in our use of micro-layer technology. That same 4-mil window film that used to be a single layer, and then two layers, is now 26 layers ? essentially the same thickness but with significantly more tear and impact resistance. It meets a much higher standard.?

Of particular interest to facilities professionals investigating the use of safety/security window film are three major premises, according to Mannix:

? ?First and foremost is life-safety,? he says, ?protecting employees, the tenants, the people. That?s so important from a building owner/manager?s and risk manager?s perspective.

? ?Second is property protection. If a b*mb goes off, you potentially could have fragments damaging a building?s interior, as well as the people in it.

? ?Third is continuity of operations ? a major driver from a financial perspective. If a building goes down or you can?t access it for a few days [due to its adjacency to a targeted building], it could potentially cost a company millions of dollars in loss of operations.?

Although safety/security window film is designed to make window glass more shatter-resistant, Mannix cautions professionals to avoid defining such film as hurricane-, earthquake-, bullet-, b*mb-, or burglar-proof. In the event of a windstorm or earthquake, these films can reduce the risk of injury from flying shards of broken glass and possibly help prevent debris and water penetration or glass from falling out of a building. A particularly low-profile, high-performance measure of security against ?smash and grab? crime, the tough, shatter-resistant qualities of safety/security film can hold window glass together ? even if a brick or similar projectile actually passes through the glass. More attention is also being directed to full-building applications (vs. the more predominant first-floor retail applications of the past), based upon the knowledge of the types of glass breakage incidents that can occur.

Linda K. Monroe (linda.monroe@buildings.com) is editorial director at Buildings magazine.

BS or not??

if 3M is the choice that you have "only" then I would go forward with it but with an attachment system of course!

there are other film brands with 4mil as well. I would go thicker which is more expensive but if safety is your concern then cost should be a major factor in your situation. :bingo

Archived