Tint and Rust

Guest ozamora

Guest ozamora

Hi everyone, I am new here, but at least I used the search tool

Here goes my story

I tinted my car (2003 Acura CL-S) like 3 months ago, and I noticed that the tint never sticked well over the dots (not big deal).

But something I have noticed maybe a month ago, was the appearance of kinda a dark orange color like between the dotted area and the tint, only on some parts. I went today to the tint shop and of course the guy who is supossed to be the "expert" said that it has happened in some cars like the Beetle, but he have never seen that in a CL. So he suggested taking the tint only for the dotted area and clean it, and just leave it with no tint.

Of course I didnt let him take it out, because by warranty they should take all the tint If I am not satisfied.

So my question is, should I let them take out the tint on the dotted area, or try again and let them tint again with the suggestions you can mention?

And by the way, that dark orange color was rust - said the "expert" - which might've been caused by a chemical reaction between the water they have used and the dots.

Comments are very welcome.

Pictures:

IMG_4305.JPG

IMG_4306.JPG

IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG

IMG_4309.JPG

IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4312.JPG

IMG_4313.JPG

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is something that has happened to me 3 times this summer. I don't know what to say about it. It's wierd. All 3 window I retinted and the 2nd time around the rust appearance was worse. I finally just removed the tint from the matrix and sent them on their way.... :thumb

Guest ozamora

I got these suggestions from acura-cl.com:

1.-

if you tint over the dots, make sure that either you or the installer scotch bright the dots (and only the dots)... If you do this the tint will stick 100% better than if you dont... The tint from the outside may appear that its not sticking but it is.. its stuck to the dots which are elevated...

because of this people say not to tint them... they think it looks stupid.. I disagreee... I say having no tint there looks stupid and a black piece of sticker even more stupid...

TINT IT!!!! but remember, get some soapy water and scotch bright the shiot out of the dots... then wipe it with windex and paper towels.. it will be fine!!!

2.-

I sanded my dots with 320 grit sandpaper,I tint all dots dont matter what car and it turns out very good on most cars,some just wont lay right on the dots,but ours are different they are reversed dots,so I would check out the shops and see which ones do tint the dots ,if they say dont tint the dots they cannot tint dots well and dont let them, just my 2 cents

What do you fellows think about it?

Guest mosolarpro

I'm with blade , the design of the glass with antena and dot make it imposible to prep like a car without the antena thus a poor look , rust I never noticed but the haze and just ugly dots is typical on these, wait and see if a vinyl guy says anything I just prep and tint over that may look nicer

Dixie, I have never sanded the martix on anything. The cars that rusted on me I didn't glue or anything. They just rusted..... :poop I always tint the matrix no matter what. I'm just hoping now that it won't rust.

the berettas and corsicas that I've done and seen turn to rust did not get sanded. A long while back, someone on td.com (at the old board) gave a reason for this. I think it was something like the dots were coated with, or made with iron oxide. :poop

Guest expertint

I didn't do this job but have seen it quite a few times..Sanding the dots on some cars can expose some metal to rust..It's not the tinters fault but to remedy that he could cut off the matrix and app-ly vinyl..Give the "expert" a break..He didn't know that would happen so let him vinyl it now..

Archived