HUGE secret of mine here, I promise you will love it

Guest honest dude

Guest honest dude

Every now and then you have to strip and retint a back window. I think most of us use steel wool. I also think most of us know that it leaves quite a mess on the rear deck...especially if it's just a strip job. This tip is great for those situations and also great for you guitar players who don't want to mess up your pickups with fine metal shavings from the steel wool.

Drum roll please...get yourself a relatively small and powerfull MAGNET...dip it in that LIQUID HANDLE stuff they sell...and wrap it with steel wool. You will clean the rear deck without leavin a trace of the steel wool. You can use just a magnet without the liquid handle stuff, but it will rust. Hope you enjoy ... CP

Not slamming the idea,but my first thought is wouldn't just covering the deck with a drop cloth be quicker , then when your done , you just take it away and shake it out..that way your not only removing the metal shavings..but also anything else that can't be picked up from a magnet... eg glue snot and saving the deck from any chemicals/soap saturation or turning on a shop vac for 30 seconds :dunno

Guest honest dude

I don't use a shop vac on anything other than a 'customer approved purple backglass removal with a razor blade/your defroster is gone'. I know we are often set in our ways as we try to perfect our art, but I posted this for those few who actually kick ass for a living on tint.

I don't have time to drape a back glass with a drop cloth. If it's a strip and retint...load the steamer...Cut/shrink the new patern...Peel the film...Steel wool and lay new back glass. 15-20 minutes later you have that back glass on it's way and your back to making money.

Everybody is different but seriously if you don't try it your never going to get any faster at something that is terribly time sensitive (your money). CP

I use steel wool, but when I sweat the back glass for removal, there is typically little glue left. It never makes a mess cleaning the glass with steel wool. Maybe I use better steel wool?

I don't mean to slam your tip either, but should a mess be made, I'll spend the 30 seconds to vac out the mess. But, if it works for you, and possibly others, go for it!

Guest tint phantom
He's not using the magnet to pick up shavings. Sounds like he is wrapping the magnet with the steel wool so the whole pad is magnetized and the shavings stay attracted to it. Sounds nifty if it works as described

right on. not a bad idea! but like most here, their's hardly any glue left when tint is removed propper. :rollin

Archived