How the F*** did I do this?

Guest drwest

I just scratched the SHEIT out of a rear quarter glass on a 335 coupe. :( :(

All I can think of is that I caught a little grain of something but didn't notice since the window was wet.

I clean with a razor blade (just steel...I was told once upon a time that it didn't matter that if it was stainless or not for my cleaning blade) and I did a Silverado roll -ps and the roll-ups on the 335 with the same scraper san problemo but this baby is toast and I am going to have to try and get it replaced tomorrow.

Any tips for a newbie on what could have gone wrong or what to always look for? Could it be that the slight curve of the quarter means that when passing the blade it isn't sitting flat therefore scratching it with the edges?

An interesting note too is that the outside of the quarter is scratched pretty good too upon closer inspection and I didn't scrape anything on the outside. I am assuming it was the dealer techs (this baby is fresh of the lot) and they might have done it taking off the sticker info and everything but I am pretty bummed out....it seems to always be something!!

Damn and double damn. Everything else was going just hunky dory.

Thanks for any suggestions since I REALLY don't want it to happen ever again.

-Future burger flipper

Dude bummer!!! Some cars have soft glass and tend to scratch easy! I've scratch rear 1/4s using just a razor before! Note the car for future reference!! One thing about this trade, if you've had to buy and replace something it's doughtful that you will forget it!! Just concider it tuition for learning because nothing is as good of a reminder than losing money!! Keep your head up cuz this to shall pass! :thumb

fresh off the lot? dont use a scraper...you should only need a scrubbie. I do many new "fresh off the lot" cars and just use a scrubbie...if there is something there that needs to be scraped off, just use a chissler or plastic razor blade...but you shouldnt even need to do that. :thumb

Guest Texstar
Dude bummer!!! Some cars have soft glass and tend to scratch easy! I've scratch rear 1/4s using just a razor before! Note the car for future reference!! One thing about this trade, if you've had to buy and replace something it's doughtful that you will forget it!! Just concider it tuition for learning because nothing is as good of a reminder than losing money!! Keep your head up cuz this to shall pass! :beer
fresh off the lot? dont use a scraper...you should only need a scrubbie. I do many new "fresh off the lot" cars and just use a scrubbie...if there is something there that needs to be scraped off, just use a chissler or plastic razor blade...but you shouldnt even need to do that. :poke

:thumb

fresh off the lot? dont use a scraper...you should only need a scrubbie. I do many new "fresh off the lot" cars and just use a scrubbie...if there is something there that needs to be scraped off, just use a chissler or plastic razor blade...but you shouldnt even need to do that. :poke

Same here. That's exactly what I do. I feel your pain though. It has happened to me before. :thumb

Thanks guys.

Well the rest of the car got only the scrubbie...that's for sure! In hindsight that is probably all that it needed but I am just used to always busting out the razor so I didn't even think twice about it. A friend of mine who tints in Vegas mentioned this morning when I told him of this that if you scrape over the matrix dots they can nick your blade as well and scratch the glass. I definitely bladed over the dots too so that combined with soft german glass probably did me in.

I really do learn ALL my lessons the hard...and EXPENSIVE...way.

:dunno

rule of thumb. never go back wards with a razor. and yes we have a soft glass and very easy to scrach, etch or crack, learned my lesson in 92. a new mustang 1st day on the job. and been tinting cars and flat glass for 4 years and the new boss had me using the cheep japan olfa blades. cutting the rear 1/4's and etched both 1/4's. 180$ damage. I worked 45 min's and quit. ihave allways used the honed olfa's and not have a prob etching the glass. just junk we have to work with and of course we all know that for a long time. our cars have been cheaply built for the past 20 years. chopping all that weight out of them and glass is very heavy and the car mfg's cutting the weight out of the glass also the past ten years. it's getting harder to tint glass with out running in to even more prob's. buy the way dont get in an accident. the plastic bumpers won't save u. :DD:beer:lol:dunno

Archived