White Card Trick

Guest tintpro2007

Guest tintpro2007

Sometimes using a light to see the border at the bottom of a back glass for handcutting the pattern, just doesn't work especially with darker films, so I found a trick that I use... Just jam your white card on the inside and bingo!

WhiteCard.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mikeMN

I just use a piece of white paper and a light. You can shove a few of them in all around the perimeter of the inside of the glass. But what you use will work to.I do have another way also maybe I will post a pic of it.

Strips of thick paper (about 3" by 8") that have been laminated work really well too. Just keep 5 or 6 of them around and tuck them all in, this way you don't have to keep moving your little card and they can't get ruined by water since they are laminated. :beer

Guest tintpro2007

Yeah I figured you guys probably already knew the trick, but I just figured I'd post it anyways incase someone didn't cause I know when I learned about it, it helped alot. :beer

Guest scottydosnntkno

ever since my shop light broke when I dropped it a couple weeks ago(stupid fluorescents, thought they were stronger) I've gotten really good and the lift, look and cut technique. Lift the film, look under it and follow along the line as your laying the film back down. Saves me a lot of time, especially on two doors not constantly getting it and out to reposition the light :beer

Guest blueyes

Cut and Past works on this thing.

Another tip discoverd out of need. Im not one to be asking the shop radio install boys for help. Most are willing to help you out holding a light. I just dont like bothering people who have thier own work to do. anyway, being that I have a background in pinstriping and graphics I decided one day to apply masking tape to the outside of the glass around the black edge to highlight my cutting of the back glass. Films darker than 35% are difficult to see through when cutting out the back glass. All you do is run the edge of the tape were you would cut freehand. The tape does a number of things to help.

1. You can see exactly were you need to cut even in the darkest of tint shops.

2. You have a very clean straight cut.

3. If for some reason you crease an edge when shrinking. you can reposition the film on the glass and see for sure that the crease is out of the way and that you are covering the rest of the area.

This is the steps I take for most back glasses.

1. clean and dry the outside glass good.

2. apply the masking tape, this takes only a few minutes or less.

3. apply dryer sheet coating.

4. allow to almost dry, I like just a hint moisture when shrinking.

5. shrink film

6. cut out film.

7. remove tape and any shavings left behind.

8. wet under film and smooth out again.

9. do your second shrink so that the edges are nice and smooth.

10. well you know the rest you probably new almost all of the above anyway. just a little more for those wet behing the ears.

I know you speed demons will say "man that gonna slow me down" . Sometimes you have to slow down to go fast. I have waisted only 1 piece of film in the last 2 to 3 years doing it this way. I am not kidding.

I am willing to get any pointers or opinions on this. Hope it helps

Guest thatsnappyguy
ever since my shop light broke when I dropped it a couple weeks ago(stupid fluorescents, thought they were stronger) I've gotten really good and the lift, look and cut technique. Lift the film, look under it and follow along the line as your laying the film back down. Saves me a lot of time, especially on two doors not constantly getting it and out to reposition the light :beer

I have ruined many back windows using this technique by cutting inside the line.

Archived