"I" "I" Capt'n tackdown

I gave up the "H" pattern yrs ago and went with the "I I" instead.I think I'm a minority on this one, but give it a try..doesn't matter if your a powder or a soap shrinker. Forget the "H" pattern tackdown, instead just spray lightly the left and right side of the bg to tack down film. It allows more freedom of film to shrink without being restricted to each 1/4 of bg . Now you have film that floats freely all along the bottom and all along the top. The film is still tacked well and won't slide off. Give it a shot, chances are after a few shrinks, you won't go back to the "H" anymore but rather the "I" "I" Capt'n tack down. :thumb

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting :hmmm I will have to give that a try. I normally anchor across the middle and start shrinking once i get the edges shrunk i tack them and shrink to the middle. :shock

Sounds like this I I thing might work well though, it makes since to me just never thought about it. thx for the Tip TW I will give it a shot. :krazy

Thats the only way I do it. Tack one side, pull a tight anchor without slip in the middle and tack the other side. Also you can move fingers from top to bottom by shifting your side anchors.

:krazy

interesting :mad I will have to give that a try. I normally anchor across the middle and start shrinking once i get the edges shrunk i tack them and shrink to the middle. :shock

Sounds like this I I thing might work well though, it makes since to me just never thought about it. thx for the Tip TW I will give it a shot. :hmmm

yeah give it a couple of times b4 judging, once you do, I think you'll like the overall "floatability" of the film compared to the more restrictive H .

More floatability = more area for dry shrink per square inch = less stress on film per square inch :beer

I've been doing that way since powder has been used,less powder/solution intermixing accidently. When the soap shrink came along, Ive just kept the habit up :shock

I have to be negative about it cause I do the "minus anchor"

:money

The best thing about tinting is the fact there is so many ways to do it.

And yet not so many people who are capable of doing it properly on a regular basis.

And it's great to see other ways.

of course I am the odd ball with the "double H" pattern. The vertical middle is normally going to lay down flat anyway and I found that if it is not tacked down then the film will pull over while shrinking. That was true when I shrank the "normal" way and even more since I began the "over/under" gun trick....

I can guarantee that my film has very little stress on it. Wish Stan would post pics of the film we did on his Nissan Versa back glass in Saint Louis....

just did an '02 Vette coupe today. Standard H and a little soap, easy as pie. I think it's less about how you tack it down and more about how you move it around shrinking it. I meant to get pics but the car was in and out fast and I forgot. Hoping he posts some up because that thing looked sweet.

Archived