polarized

Guest thetintshop

Guest thetintshop

TD once explained what the effect was that happens when looking through tint while wearing polarized shades. you get that rainbow effect.

what's that called again?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest metint

Harmonic has to do with sound...

VISUAL APPEARANCE

Tempered glass possesses the basic optical qualities of annealed glass. The induced stress condition sometimes produces a slight bow in tempered glass lights. Tempered glass that has been manufactured in a vertical tempering oven contains small surface depressions resembling dimples along one edge. These marks are caused by the pointed metal tongs which support the glass during its passage through the oven. Glass which is passed horizontally through an oven may contain a very slight surface wave caused by contact with the rollers. The waviness can sometimes be detected when viewing reflected images from a large distance. Finally, the air quench nozzles discharge air in a fixed, reciprocating or rotating motion. The area of air quench can be seen through polarized glass as arrays of irridescent spots or lines. Under some lighting conditions these patterns can be seen in ordinary light.

http://www.alumaxbath.com/tech/tgp.htm

I'll ask our in-house physics genius what the actual name of this phenom is when I get back to work. :lol

Guest metint

There is really no known name for the phenomena except maybe ?light refraction? viewed through polarized lense.

The ability of a material to refract light changes with the density of the material as light strikes a surface.

In this case tempered glass has a capacity for varying light refraction due to some areas having different densities... a result of compression stress in the glass gained through the tempering process. Those areas that have had direct exposure to air jet flows or rollers cool much quicker than the surrounding areas not in direct contact, giving them a different compressive stress and density. These are the spots one can see by looking through polarized lenses.

Thanx Joe R. @ CP tech for the explanation...

Archived