Curved skylights - need some suggestions

Tinting some curved plexi skylights... using Madico's blisterfree film as the first layer.

Skylights are about 45x114...

The main problem is that there is a bar under each light... which due to the length of the film, it's very hard to position. If I use a shampoo solution, it's not tacky enough and gravity keeps letting it fall. If I use the mounting solution, then there isn't enough slip and I can't move it around, let alone if it folds in on itself, it's game over.

Tried doing them in two pieces... but you can see the seem from the ground.

Tried removing the liner half way... installing half... then removing the rest of the liner... and installing that half.

The problem with that is because the light is curved... the film is long... and the bar makes it impossible to just let the film hang and pull the liner....

If it were normal film, it wouldn't be an issue since liners release fairly easily. But the BF film... the adhesive is very aggressive and is almost impossible to remove just holding the film horizontally in the air.

The bars can NOT be removed.... so that's not an option.

I have no idea what to do.. we did the end lights, which didn't have the bars... I gotta go back next week and do the rest.

sky-lights-1.jpg

sky-lights-3.jpg

HELP!!

I'd do it this way:

Two guys on the scaffolding, one down.

Spray down the skylight. Take of the liner from the film hanging of the scaffolding, and spray the film very much with the slip solution

Two guys on the scafolding hold the film flat over the bar.

Start from the middle, lay it on the plexi and push out right away towards one end while the other guy holds the middle from pealing of from the skylight and the other half. Once one half is pushed out it should hold it up there so you can go to the other half.

Hope you get it

I'd do it this way:

Two guys on the scaffolding, one down.

Spray down the skylight. Take of the liner from the film hanging of the scaffolding, and spray the film very much with the slip solution

Two guys on the scafolding hold the film flat over the bar.

Start from the middle, lay it on the plexi and push out right away towards one end while the other guy holds the middle from pealing of from the skylight and the other half. Once one half is pushed out it should hold it up there so you can go to the other half.

Hope you get it

The only problem with that is the film is longer then the length of the bar... making it very hard to keep it flat as not to have it fold in on itself..

I dunno....

I have had almost that exact situation. Here is what I did. back roll the film, duct tape the entire leading edge to the frame so when you are pulling the liner as you go, you wont pull the film off the frame. Yoy pull and someone behind you sprays...Alot. As you get about 1/3 of the way you are going to need someone to push the film up on to the SL in front of you so that you dont run out of room pulling off the liner. Kind of like Chinese algebra but it worked for us

How strong are those bars ? Can you put some 3/4 plywood up there and lay down and do it?

They are too thin... I wish we could remove them... it would make a HUGE difference. :(

I have had almost that exact situation. Here is what I did. back roll the film, duct tape the entire leading edge to the frame so when you are pulling the liner as you go, you wont pull the film off the frame. Yoy pull and someone behind you sprays...Alot. As you get about 1/3 of the way you are going to need someone to push the film up on to the SL in front of you so that you dont run out of room pulling off the liner. Kind of like Chinese algebra but it worked for us

With this film, or a different film? One idea I had was to RR it... but the liner is crazy hard to remove. More then your average PS film...

Archived