Bunch o' ramblin/questions

Guest pastfast125

Guest pastfast125

OK. I have been thinking about this for some time and need some fabricating guru's opinions. How do you guys fabricate you fiber glass peices? I was thinking about making a fiberglass box se up to house some speakers and an amp, and maybe even some custom door panel peices. For the speaker boxes, I was thinking about making the main box out of some type of wood, the covering it with great stuff foam, then shaping to what I want, then covering it in fiberglass...What do you think of that? Just give me some info on how to fabricate custom peices like a custom dash or anything. Thanks.

Thanks, anybody else have any tips?

[*]363369

I've seen guys use headliner material to stretch over everting and fiberglass over that to get a molded look.

You have to build your box out of MFD wood and seal it up, built close to your dimensions, then do your molded look over that.

I have seen it done with that foam, but it makes a friggin mess from

sanding all the foam down.

Guest pastfast125

are there any other kinds of foam I could use? Like maybe buy those foam block, then glue em on there, then shape em down? I want something that will be strong though, you know? so that the fiberglass has less chance of cracking, like if somebody sits on it or something.

are there any other kinds of foam I could use? Like maybe buy those foam block, then glue em on there, then shape em down? I want something that will be strong though, you know? so that the fiberglass has less chance of cracking, like if somebody sits on it or something.

[*]363420

I have used green open cell foam and shaped it with a sander/ grinder, to create a seat cushion for vehicle interiors, but for rigidity, the foam you mentioned would be the best or maybe polyfoam, it's a 2 part mixture I've used in my boat building days.

But if it were mine, I would kick somebodys arse ir they sat on my speaker box. :thumb

Guest pastfast125

lol, well I'm thinking about making a custom center console, with a seat cushion type thing, as a little middle seat. but I want something that the fiberglass wont crack with, and if the foam ins't strong enough and flexes or deforms, then I'm afraid the fiberglass will crack.

Archived