Rear Wing Windows

Guest BCCwintint

Guest BCCwintint

Today I tinted a '91 4-Runner and it went pretty good until I got to those small wing windows on the rear doors. Learned something new, I guess. I got really sick and tired of trying to trim the film along the rubber molding. Everytime I've done those small little wings without the nice little black borders they've always looked like crap. Isuzu Rodeo, Honda Passport, Mazda Protege, you know. Gaps on the edges, contamination, (especially at the top of the triangle!) :hmmm I couldn't take it anymore! So I said, I'm gonna take the bloody things out! And I did. And it wasn't difficult. I cleaned the glass, installed the film, and replaced the wings. And they looked so much better, like factory tint. :? I guess I'd like to know if other tinters do the wings this way, if this is standard procedure for others. I just can't seem to trim the film along those rubber moldings, and I found removing them to be much easier. I would greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks

I use a clear liner to cut a pattern on the outside, then use the liner piece as a pattern on the tint. Cut the tint just a little bigger. Also, cut the rubber out on the inside of the window, just a little.

Guest BCCwintint
I remove all gasket set glasses. it's easy and the only way to have a damn near perfect job.

Thanks, tintshop, then so be it. From now on they come out! No more frustration with this issue! :rollin