Does security film REALLY hold up in a hurricane??

Guest Munkey

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintamerica
My Mom called me up today saying that she's gonna have all the windows in her 2 story house covered with some kind of Matico 4mil tinted security glass for the upcoming hurricane season (we're in Corpus Christi, TX.)  I took a glance at some of the literature, and I keep seeing the words "reduced chance of breakage" and "minimizes the likelihood of breakage" etc. 

So, does security glass REALLY provide protection during a hurricane?  I can see how it would hold the glass together, kinda like laminated glass in a windshield, but we're still gonna have a darn broken window to replace, and get re-covered after the storm.  Does this stuff really make the glass stronger??

Any words, or advise will be greatly appreciated by me, and dear 'ol Mom!

[*]298365

Our company installs 8 mil security film for hurricane protection. We've done hundreds of homes. Last fall during Hurricane Wilma, our customers reported fantastic results. For most, there was no breakage...pieces of debris such as sheet metal and broken fan blades bounced off people's windows. One homeowner reported all windows were fine except for 1 which was cracked by a flying roof tile, but no water entered the home. Needless to say, he was thrilled with the performance as many neighbors suffered extreme damage. Another customer had us install 8-mil on his residence...main residence was fine, but the guest house with no film lost all windows. Now we're going back to do the rest. We're happy to know it really works.

Archived