Does security film REALLY hold up in a hurricane??

Guest Munkey

Guest metint

Suppose to go up to 102 today with heat index of 115... humidity was at 100% 7:30 this morning with very few clouds in the sky.

I was guessing you might be someone I knew who recently moved out to Colorado. :trustme

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Key West
My Mom called me up today saying that she's gonna have all the windows in her 2 story house covered with some kind of Matico 4mil tinted security glass for the upcoming hurricane season (we're in Corpus Christi, TX.)? I took a glance at some of the literature, and I keep seeing the words "reduced chance of breakage" and "minimizes the likelihood of breakage" etc.?

So, does security glass REALLY provide protection during a hurricane?? I can see how it would hold the glass together, kinda like laminated glass in a windshield, but we're still gonna have a darn broken window to replace, and get re-covered after the storm.? Does this stuff really make the glass stronger??

Any words, or advise will be greatly appreciated by me, and dear 'ol Mom!

[*]298365

Yes.

And is if it weeren't for the ass-a-nine dade county large missle testing, more people would probably have it done. window film is an awesome solutions for upgrading existing glass to a very good level of protection. Many people down there end up doing nothing to their glass because they fear since it does not meet the extreme Dade county code, it can't be an appropriate solution. It's like not buying a used car, and taking the bus to work, just because it doesn't meet the current "new car safety standards".

The glass will break when impacted by large debris, but it will hold it in place. You want to keep the building envelope intact.

[*]298420

Poser,

Just HOW exactly is the large missile impact test asinine? Large missiles DO fly around in a hurricane. I know thats hard for you to get your mind around, but true. A terrazo roof tile (Very popular in S.Fla), or a 2x4 at 125 mph pretty much constitute large missiles in my book.

Security film helps increase the tensile strength of the glass by spreading out the force of impact over the entire surface of the glass. Some claim by as much as 400%! :DD

The other benefit is that the window stays put! Broken or not, it stays there and since it does, so does the roof.

There is no magic bullet, but all things considered, I'd much rather have the peace of mind I have knowing I have 8 mil with an attachment system on the condo. :lol6

Guest vclimber

Mom looks like you started quite a debate here. (Albeit 6 months ago) :lol6

If there is a hurricane and you do not evacuate, I do not think that there is a product out there that can guarantee your safety or the saftey of your windows. Now if you are trying to protect the contents of your home in the event of a hurricane, security window film would be one component to integrate into your plan. A good glass lock system would be another item you would want installed if you chose to use security film. European roll shutters would be another technology to integrate with the film.

Both technologies together would be better than nothing at all. Even if you did not take a direct hit, security film would help to deter looters or at the very least make it very difficult for them to enter through a window if the proper film and glass lock system were installed.

The last hurricane season made it very clear that these storms are incredibly powerful and there is no guarantee that any of these products will give you absolute protection, furthermore, none of these produce should ever embolden you not to evacuate when advised to do so.

Once I was estimating a condo on the 18th floor in Naples and the owner asked me if the terrazzo tiles from the five story building below would not come through his 8 mil protected, windows during a hurricane... :lol6 I chuckled and quipped, Do I look like God? :lol:lol:DD

4mil film is on safety film which means that its purpose is to try and keep shards from flying everywhere. If you want a try Hurricane Resistant Film, as far as I know, ACE/Security Laminates is the only security film that has been certified by Miami Dade standards for Hurricane Resistance. It is a 14mil product.

Seton

ACE/Security Laminates Orange County

http://www.AceOrangeCounty.com

My Mom called me up today saying that she's gonna have all the windows in her 2 story house covered with some kind of Matico 4mil tinted security glass for the upcoming hurricane season (we're in Corpus Christi, TX.)  I took a glance at some of the literature, and I keep seeing the words "reduced chance of breakage" and "minimizes the likelihood of breakage" etc. 

So, does security glass REALLY provide protection during a hurricane?  I can see how it would hold the glass together, kinda like laminated glass in a windshield, but we're still gonna have a darn broken window to replace, and get re-covered after the storm.  Does this stuff really make the glass stronger??

[*]298365

Guest Key West
No! It is not hurricane protection!! Hurricane protection is getting into a car and driving away from the storm for the individual and replacing all glass with laminated glass and shutters around the home! Even then, how well are the window frames held in the structure? How well is the roof held to the structure? What direction are the winds coming from in respect to the home's weak spot? What is the duration of of pressure/suction on the glass after it breaks??

A well known film supplier's distribution center was hit in Miami when Andrew went through in '92; windows had 4 mil, 7 mil, 0 mil and a couple with 10 mil. All were affected in various ways by the storm, from remaining intact, to the entire window being blown out frame and all. Don't bank on what the God's will do at any given moment.

S&S film retains glass fragments. Glass is not made stronger except through tempering or heat strengthening. I've seen golf balls go through glass with 4 mil S&S installed. What do you think will happen if a coconut, clay roofing shingle or a tree hits the glass at a high rate of speed.

If she is bent on S&S films as a solution, 8 mil is a minimum thickness, in combination with a small bead of structural sealant as edge retention, is what need be considered as an after the fact improvement.

Even then, it comes with no guarantee of protection!

[*]298428

Dear Guest,

Was that golf ball shot out of a cannon? In MY experience, there is no way that a golf ball is going to penetrate 4 mil window film. I have done quite a few houses on the fairways at country clubs ( My parents lived just off the 9th fairway at Signal Mountain) 4 mil is MORE than adequate to protect glass from GBalls!!

And the tensile strength of glass IS made stronger by up to 400% by transmitting the force of impact over a greater area. This is more apparent with the thicker films 10 mil+. Don Martin (Martin Energy Products/ Clear Defense) has done extensive testing and has clearly proven this.

What S&S can do for hurricane protection is help hold the glass in place. THAT in turn, helps keep the roof on. Its the pressure differential that blows roofs off.

Guest carbontc
My Mom called me up today saying that she's gonna have all the windows in her 2 story house covered with some kind of Matico 4mil tinted security glass for the upcoming hurricane season (we're in Corpus Christi, TX.)  I took a glance at some of the literature, and I keep seeing the words "reduced chance of breakage" and "minimizes the likelihood of breakage" etc. 

So, does security glass REALLY provide protection during a hurricane?  I can see how it would hold the glass together, kinda like laminated glass in a windshield, but we're still gonna have a darn broken window to replace, and get re-covered after the storm.  Does this stuff really make the glass stronger??

[*]298365

Dear friend, watch this video.

http://www.enprodistributing.com/video/Antiintrusion.wmv

Guest metint
  What S&S can do for hurricane protection is help hold the glass in place. THAT in turn, helps keep the roof on. Its the pressure differential that blows roofs off.

[*]373005

It's the cycling that breaks down the glass/SS film barrier, not necessarily the impact.

Must be why Don went on to make a SS film with filament in its structure.... looked like mini jail bars. :dunno

Guest Key West

?? What S&S can do for hurricane protection is help hold the glass in place. THAT in turn, helps keep the roof on. Its the pressure differential that blows roofs off.

[*]373005

It's the cycling that breaks down the glass/SS film barrier, not necessarily the impact.

Must be why Don went on to make a SS film with filament in its structure.... looked like mini jail bars. :spit

[*]376801

True, but its better looking than burglar bars. Not much different than reinforced glass. Also, Only the "PLUS" version of his product had the polyester threads. 13.5 mil, with polyester threads crosswoven. Designed for commercial apps, where esthetics were secondary. BUT DAMMIT MAN, the shiot was STRONG!!!:lol6:spit

Archived