Factory glass 2

Guest metint

Guest metint

Okay guys and gals?

Since many are curious and none really has the time and maybe not the resources, I have just took these readings from a btu meter and a pocket detective visible light meter.

Full sun, no clouds?

Direct sun = 280-290 btu?s

91% VLT VW qtr glass = 230-240 btu?s

*72% VLT Peugeot qtr glass (green) = 140-150 btu?s

*54% VLT VL meter calibration glass (grey) = 160-170 btu?s

40% VLT Lexus rx300 qtr glass (reflective) = 80-90 btu?s

25% VLT privacy glass dodge caravan hatch = 40-50 btu?s

*Green glass is usually more efficient than grey? that would explain the close btu?s with such a wide VLT margin between the two samples.

Guest Zrok
I'm still gonna tell people it makes it hotter. I don't think I have to worry about any of them researching it.

:gasp I agree, besides, can't we achieve those numbers (dodge caravan privacy glass) with film that's not as dark? :) I always thought they HAD to make it that dark to keep out as much heat as a lighter window with film applied. :booga

Guest Rama

Not to say the great metint is wrong, as he most certainly cannot be. BUT! I can say with certainty that even if factory cuts that much, tint still greatly helps. Whenever we get a new Suburban, its usually in the dead of summer and both ac units are blowing their little hearts out. As soon as we tint the whole thing, the heat drastically reduces. So, if its that good, tint just makes it better. Also, did you do a UV test on it as well metint? How much UV is cut?

Guest metint

Since I will be out until June 7th... the question of UV will have to wait until then.

I am not disputing the need for film, just giving the numbers to those types of glass to dispell the myth it does not reduce incident solar energy.

I will run a check on UV with the same glass and get back to all of you...

Meantime me and mrs. will be on the sands of Wakiki :lol until then. :bling

Guest Rama

But I liked that little myth!!! Wakiki? Oh....and I'm stuck in the rain here, at least today. Well, you and your wife have a great time, and bring back plenty of sunshine for the rest of us!

Archived